Gibson Brands Forums

Who else wants more finish options for the Original Designer series?

GraceToo

As the new owner of a 2020 Epiphone Les Paul, I just have to say that I am really impressed with the step up in Epiphone's quality over the past few years. I'd love to get one of the new Explorers as well, but there's just one problem: I loathe ebony finishes when they're combined with rosewood fretboards. More finish options would be much appreciated! An Epiphone Explorer in an aged natural or walnut finish would be an instant purchase for me, as would one in white. I know there may be another artist run or limited edition run at some point, but I think there would definitely be a market for greater variety in the standard production finishes in the designer series. The V and Firebird both only have one finish to choose from as well.

Since the management reorganized and limited the product line in 2020, Epiphone has been very slowly introducing some variation and a few discontinued models. They seem to be trying to be careful with what is produced. It could be a while before more colors are available for each model.

Edited by mihcmac

15 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Since the management reorganized and limited the product line in 2020, Epiphone has been very slowly introducing some variation and a few discontinued models. They seem to be trying to be careful with what is produced. It could be a while before more colors are available for each model.

Hopefully it won’t be too long until we see more variety… I will never buy an ebony Explorer with a rosewood fretboard (I’d make an exception for an ebony body plus ebony fretboard combo, or a custom with binding and gold hardware, but that’s it). Natural and white are both classic body colours for the Explorer and the V, and it would be awesome to see those variations added to the inspired by Gibson line. It would also be great to see a standard production Epiphone Explorer modelled after the ‘70s design, rather than the rounder ‘58 design. Most of the artist Epiphone Explorers are done in the more angular ‘70s style, but I can’t think of any regular production Epi Explorers produced in the past couple decades based on that design.

I know the LP is a more popular and therefore more marketable guitar overall, but it just seems a little unfortunate to me that we’re severely limited by what we can buy in the designer series, when we can buy Epiphone LPs in most of the classic Gibson finishes with period-specific variations and custom models. I might just have to wait for a new artist model Explorer.

Edited by GraceToo