Gibson Brands Forums

Big chunky necks?

dallasblues

5 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Conventional wisdom has it that the Banners without truss rods were the fattest necks to come out of Gibson.  No Banners but I have owned two Gibson without truss rods - a 1920 L3 (which I still own) and a 1935 Capital.  Both had very similar necks - a round shoulder V with a 1 3/4" (or thereabouts) nut and a depth of something just over 1" at the first fret.  For me this remains the most comfortable neck carve I have run across on any Gibson.  It did not hurt that the string spread at the bridge was 2 3/8".  As a fingerpicker I do appreciate the extra room.

I have  1917 L-1 and a 1934 KG-1 -- they might be similar to yours.  Both have larger, deeper necks than modern but more of a V.  I do like that.  Neither (or my 34 Carson Robison) have a non adjustable metal bar in their necks as some of the late 30s off brands did, but none had anything like the BASEBALL BAT shape of those c. early 1942s.  Just my 2 cents.

Best,

-Tom

On 9/12/2021 at 11:46 AM, jt said:

🙂

I am very pleased to announce that Gibson has embraced the Kalamazoo Gals story. The company's head of artist relations for North America is participating in my event at AmericanaFest in Nashville in a week and a half.

Kalamazoo Gals @ AmericanaFest 2021 Amended Panel.JPG

Not a day too soon, eh?

I absolutely cannot stand the slim taper necks. Prolonged playing of one of these gives me cramps. They dont seem bad at first, but i have ended up selling off any gibson with a slim taper that ive bought. 

My 51 LG2 neck is not huge, but it has just the right amount of thickness. The discontinued Gibson J35 was pretty nice. And the 50s original J45 is also good. 

Im glad we got these at least. But i hate that i cant even think about getting a standard gibson because the profile just doesnt work for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWest said:

I absolutely cannot stand the slim taper necks. Prolonged playing of one of these gives me cramps. They dont seem bad at first, but i have ended up selling off any gibson with a slim taper that ive bought. 

My 51 LG2 neck is not huge, but it has just the right amount of thickness. The discontinued Gibson J35 was pretty nice. And the 50s original J45 is also good. 

Im glad we got these at least. But i hate that i cant even think about getting a standard gibson because the profile just doesnt work for me. 

I get that too. Slim taper necks feel kinda nice for short periods of time but cause cramps in short order. A bigger neck feels good at the start of a playing session and much better even after a long gig. 

It sounds like the Banner LG-2 is a nice instrument! The neck might be a good fit. While I appreciate that recommendation… I just can’t afford that price tag. If I could a vintage LG-2 would be in consideration as well. And as I noted in my original post, I’m just not in that financial situation. The $2-3k range is much more realistic. That being the case… how does the 50’s LG-2 (Original series) compare? Is that a fuller neck profile than the L-00? Similar to the Banner LG-2?

3 hours ago, dallasblues said:

It sounds like the Banner LG-2 is a nice instrument! The neck might be a good fit. While I appreciate that recommendation… I just can’t afford that price tag. If I could a vintage LG-2 would be in consideration as well. And as I noted in my original post, I’m just not in that financial situation. The $2-3k range is much more realistic. That being the case… how does the 50’s LG-2 (Original series) compare? Is that a fuller neck profile than the L-00? Similar to the Banner LG-2?

The 50s LG-2 has a V neck. I like V necks, its not going to be chunky. But its much better than the slim taper i think. 

• Like 1