Gibson Brands Forums

New to Gibson and Guitars

bsd970

I was a drummer many years ago, but sold them when I moved. I always planned to get another kit but either didn't have the money or a place where I could play them. It has been so long since I've played drums I would feel like I'm just about starting over. If I was going to start over again, I figured I should just start over playing the one instrument I have always wanted to play, the electric guitar.  I finally decided to take the plunge and buy one to learn. I've been looking at buying one for quite some time but having never owned a guitar I thought I would start out with something basic and work my way up. Well, after looking at about a million guitars and going back and forth on different guitars, I finally decided on the Les Paul Tribute. The Les Paul has always drawn my eye and in the right hands has a great sound. After weighing the pros and cons I just didn't want to buy a guitar I would eventually want to replace. I wanted to buy something I felt I would want to keep and play for years to come. As a little motivating gift, my wife bought me an amp to stop me from looking at guitars and actually buy one. I guess you could say it worked. After looking at my Positive Grid Spark amp (seems like a nice little amp) for about a month, I bought the Les Paul. I plan to take lessons but haven't decided whether to take them in person or online. Any suggestions on which form of learning or things I should consider would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if there are any suggestions on equipment or training aides I would benefit from I would also appreciate any help.  

Hello, welcome to the forum and congrats on your guitar and amp.   I believe the amp comes with an app which has some very useful features (when you figure out how to use them!).

I would start by looking a LOT at the internet and especially youtube guitar lessons.

Learning lead guitar is a long process and no use unless you know the chords that go underneath.

I was a guitar teacher for over 10 yrs (I am in the UK).  One of my more memorable lessons was when a young guy came to see me with a very nice guitar and I asked him to show me some of what he knew. He commenced playing lead really fast and well - almost better than me, and I thought I wouldn't be able to teach him anything.  I stopped him and said "that's great! Let's play some of that stuff in C."

His reply was "what's a C?"

](*,)

So you MUST learn chords first.  You are at the hardest part now as you have to train your hands, and learn to figutre out chord diagrams.  The most basic chords to learn are C-A-G-E-D, all of which are major chords and use some open strings.  Then F and B, while at the same time learning what a minor chord sounds like.  Eminor, Aminor and D minor are all as easy as the basic majors. The more you learn and remember, the easier it becomes. 

I won't go on because there are much better explanations on the net.  But please continue to ask questions.

Good luck and best wishes!

Edited by jdgm