Gibson Brands Forums

2001 SG Standard Stamps

6th Stringer

I just traded my white re-fin Flying V for a 2001 SG Standard. It all looks totally legit - the tattered brown case with pink interior and cover; the headstock inlays;  the tuners;  the nibs on the fret ends. The only thing I find curious is the stamps on the back of the headstock. The serial number and "Made in U.S.A." have a line around them that looks like a decal. They feel recessed - as a stamp should, but have a visible line around them. I am thinking that it is the die marking creating an optical illusion.

Does anyone have any input on this from other guitars of the period?  I am pretty confident that it is real, but It looks different from other Gibsons I own.  I have noticed the die markings on my other guitars. but not on the Made in USA part as much as the serial numbers.

My USA Gibson's are not of the same years as yours.  

I think the serial numbering methods change often so it's really hard to pinpoint based on that alone.

I'd pop open the truss rod cover, if you see a 5/16 hex bolt, you can be just about assured, it's legit.  The counterfeits don't have a hex bolt. 

So I just opened the electronics cavity and all the insides appear stock. The pots have a Gibson logo. The Guitar Dater Project places my serial number at January 11th 2001. One of the tone pots is marked 1-15-01, so I am pretty confident everything is cool. That marking on the headstock that looks like a decal is just SO odd.

8 hours ago, 6th Stringer said:

So I just opened the electronics cavity and all the insides appear stock. The pots have a Gibson logo. The Guitar Dater Project places my serial number at January 11th 2001. One of the tone pots is marked 1-15-01, so I am pretty confident everything is cool. That marking on the headstock that looks like a decal is just SO odd.

the truss rod check, looking for and finding a 5/16 hex bolt would seal the case as closed.  🙂