Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson C-0 Classical Guitar

dillonollid

I had one of those. It was my first "good" guitar and the only one I had that was new when I got it when I was 16. All solid wood. Built like a Mack truck, strong and nearly indestructable but not the greatest sound probably because of its relatively heavy construction. I liked it but sold it to finance my current Gibson.

I just bought it a few days ago. I know Gibson serial numbers from the 60's can be a little screwy, but according to the website it's from 64.

and...

I never had a chance to play a new one, but they must age like wine because mine sounds amazing. Possibly the loneliest guitar I've ever played. I even overpaid a bit because I liked the tone so much. And I wouldn't dream of buying anything vintage off of ebay.

I've just seen varying descriptions of it. At Elderly.com it's described as an all solid wood guitar. But on another description I've seen it described as having laminate backs and sides. I trust elderly, but I've also seen them describe a 2009 Martin 000-15 as being all mahogany when in fact they are sapele.

Some Gibsons in the 60s were built with laminated sides and/or backs and they generally didn't note that in any item description that I've ever seen. They may have made one batch with laminated parts, another with solid, or a mixture. I had a '68 Dove with lam sides and back and the ones made the next month could have been solid.

One thing I liked about mine was that I could really dig into it and get it to play rock and roll. I agree on the versatility. I felt OK selling mine because the Gibson F-25 that I replaced it with had all the same characteristics including the wide neck and it was a steel stringer.

It's good to hear of someone who has one.

Archived