Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with my Mom's Gibson

DGalloway

On 1/13/2022 at 12:56 PM, jedzep said:

If that's refinished, someone did an awesome job.   I have a '36 L00 rescue that was abused with palm sanders in an ag & tech college luthier class, but I was still able to detect minor signs that it had a burst (under bridge, interior overspray, etc), not daring to sand anymore at the heel joint. 

What does the back look like, DG? 

Dave

biLg7bR.jpg

Although studying can be difficult, the results are worthwhile! College broadens your horizons and provides access to countless opportunities. Learning is a journey of growth and discovery that lasts a lifetime. Whenever you require aid with your financial assignments, edubirdie is a dependable source that can help you succeed. They offer professional assistance to make your academic path easier. Take on the difficulties, embrace learning, and create a better future for yourself! Visit https://essays.edubirdie.com/finance-assignments to learn more about their finance assignment services.

Hey Dave, Thanks for sharing your experience with your '36 L00 rescue. It's unfortunate that it was subjected to rough treatment in the luthier class. It's great that you were able to detect some minor signs of a burst on your guitar, even though you didn't sand further at the heel joint. As for the back of the guitar in question, without a visual reference, it's difficult to provide a detailed description. However, based on the initial comment about the refinished guitar, it seems someone did an awesome job restoring it. If you have any pictures or more information about the back, it would be helpful for the community to give you a more accurate response. Keep up the good work with your guitar rescue project!

On 1/13/2022 at 9:22 AM, DGalloway said:

It was in fantastic condition until a guy asked to borrow it at a bluegrass festival and his belt buckle scratched the back all up, and an inebriated uncle provided the pick scratches across the front. We went to a lot of bluegrass festivals in the 60's and early 70's. Had Bill Monroe and Ralph Stanley over to our home, at different times, for a meal. Great memories. 

I believe my Brother-in-law, John Farley, changed the tuners for her in the late 70's to early 80's as the originals had worn out.

Site isn't letting me post the back picture due to size, I'll try and get resolution down so I can share it.

WOWSERS !!!!       Sorry I missed this comment .   So, this guitar comes with a case-full of great memories too.   (Did your Mom  key the  belt buckle guy's car ??) 😀