Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON Super V BJB 1980 - owner registration!

Karen

Hey Gibson-Lovers,

we have some trouble concerning a heritage. Subjet of dicussion is a Gibson Super BJB Guitar from 1980.  My mom remembered something like this that her husband has registered the guitar combined with her name directly in the US because he wanted to make sure, that my mom is the official owner of this guitar. Unfortunately she can't find anything related in the papers so here are my question - is this registration still common? Who would be the right contact to ask for - what exactly is the name of this registration process?

I hope you guys knows what I'm talking about - happy for any advise.

Stay sound and safe

Greetings from Munich | Germany

KAREN

It may be that the warranty/registration card was sent in when the guitar was bought new.   That must be to what you are referring.  I'm not sure that they include a registration card with new guitars these days.

If so - if that card still exists, it's probably in a file somewhere amongst many thousands of others.

You could try emailing or writing with an enquiry but don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.  You should ideally include photos of the guitar, especially the back and front of the headstock, and the all-important serial number.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Support/Contact

Equally valid (I should think) would be a written declaration signed by your mum's husband that she is the owner, witnessed by a notary.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your feedback. We will check the papers of the guitars first - it's possible that we find a warranty/registration card amongst thousand of other cards 😉

The husband died so we have to deal with this situation like it is. We would like to prove that the guitar was not in the possession of the deceased husband, but had already been transferred to his wife.