Gibson Brands Forums

Dating my EB-3

I have an EB-3 that I purchased new in about 1972. The serial number is 930644. Walnut finish, slotted headstock, "Made in USA" below the serial number on the back of the headstock,  glued-on raised pearl "Gibson" logo with no dot on the "i." From everything I've read the slotted headstock EB-3s ran from late 1969 through about 1971. I'm trying to find the exact vintage if possible. I was in 11th grade and didn't make note of the model year. Thanks!

EB-3.jpg

See if you can read one of the pot codes. Example- 1376948    137=Manufacturer CTS, 69=year pot was made & 48=week of year produced. 

This helps narrow it down a bit more even thought it dates the pot, not the guitar.

Thans so much. I reached out to Gibson prior to reading your reply and they confirmed the same.  My pot code is 1377040, so September 28 - October 2. Gibson figures it was built in late 1970 or early 1971. That's as close as I'm going to get, so it's probably not possible to know if it is technically a 1970 or a 1971 model year.