Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special / Tribute P90

menamestom

I'm thinking of an LP special of some kind.  Stock is an issue at the moment, hardly any in stock in the UK.  The Tribute Specials seem to be unavailable, especially the Wallnut colour model.  Are these being discontinued? 

If so then I'll look at the TV Yellow model but the Tributes look nice guitars, as long as the necks are not too thin. 

There's not many of the full gloss Specials either but most places seem to have them on order at least.  

Any thoughts between the 2?  I know the Tributes have satin finish and maple necks, no binding. 

stock is indeed a problem. I like the Tributes too (dont own one). I can only suggest keep checking stores stock levels. Used could be an option. Gumtree or FB Marketplace etc. are often a good source.

I know you want the P90s. but HB versions could be good to try & see if your happy with neck etc.

Just checked and right now (11.39 02/05/22) Andertons have 3 Cherry Sunbursts. Are they in range of your location?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/gibson/les-paul-guitars/les-paul-tribute-guitars/gibson-usa-les-paul-tribute-satin-cherry-sunburst-nickel-tune-o-matic-hardware 

GuitarGuitar have a honeyburst

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/190319340823008--gibson-les-paul-tribute-satin-honeyburst

Edited by merciful-evans

4 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

stock is indeed a problem. I like the Tributes too (dont own one). I can only suggest keep checking stores stock levels. Used could be an option. Gumtree or FB Marketplace etc. are often a good source.

Just checked and right now (11.39 02/05/22) Andertons have 3 Cherry Sunbursts. Are they in range of your location?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/gibson/les-paul-guitars/les-paul-tribute-guitars/gibson-usa-les-paul-tribute-satin-cherry-sunburst-nickel-tune-o-matic-hardware 

GuitarGuitar have a honeyburst

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/190319340823008--gibson-les-paul-tribute-satin-honeyburst

Thanks for the reply.  It's the P90 one I'm after.  There is the odd one about.  Guitar Guitar had a sale on them recently which I missed but a few had issues which says end of line to me, or perhaps just last of a large shipment.  I saw that on a thread over at the Fretboard and it put me of buying the last of what as we know can be variable quality.

There are a few 2nd hand , but they tend to be the same price as new, hence why I'm trying to find out if more will be available.  They are still available to order on the Gibson site so perhaps it's just a case of UK waiting on more stock, understandable considering the many worldwide factors involved currently.

Thomann are saying 2-5 days on the TV Yellows so may just grab one of those, when they get a shipment in you can usually ask for specifics like lighter weight guitars if they get a batch.

4 hours ago, menamestom said:

Thomann are saying 2-5 days on the TV Yellows so may just grab one of those, when they get a shipment in you can usually ask for specifics like lighter weight guitars if they get a batch.

Thomann are an option. You can return to them of course, though I did so once (several years ago) and they didn't like it. All their emails & catalogues stopped from that point on. 

I know what you mean about variable quality. I have ordered a Gibson mail order (via Amazon not Thomann) & been lucky. Good luck with your search.

20 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Thomann are an option. You can return to them of course, though I did so once (several years ago) and they didn't like it. All their emails & catalogues stopped from that point on. 

I know what you mean about variable quality. I have ordered a Gibson mail order (via Amazon not Thomann) & been lucky. Good luck with your search.

Thanks, Thomann have just gone back to 2-3 weeks from 2 days so I'm not sure even they know.  DV are forecasting Jan 2023.

I don't mind Thomann but would rather get from Peach or somewhere, Thomann I usually use for things like mixers.  

No rush, it's the way things are with everything at the moment, cheers for your input.