Gibson Brands Forums

Year stamped on back of headstock?

sunburstfaded

I've seen a Gibson Les Paul for sale on the Web. It is a faded model from 2008. It says so on the back of the headstock: Made in USA 2008. Now I owned one of these great guitars and had the use of another one briefly and neither of them had the year stamped on the back of the headstock. In fact, I've never seen any Gibson Les Paul which has the year of manufacture stamped on the back of the headstock. Is this a new thing from 2008 or is this guitar, how can one say, a tad hooky?

It seems they started stamping the date on sometime in 2008. This is just a guess on my part, but I'm thinking it's an attempt to stop people from posting their serial numbers online.

I read somewhere that it was suggested you don't do that, so that people making fakes have nothing to go by. I don't known if an individual or Gibson suggested it, though.

It seems they started stamping the date on sometime in 2008. This is just a guess on my part' date=' but I'm thinking it's an attempt to stop people from posting their serial numbers online.

I read somewhere that it was suggested you don't do that, so that people making fakes have nothing to go by. I don't known if an individual or Gibson suggested it, though.[/quote']

Bingo.... :) Actual date stamping started sometime in 2008.

Archived