Gibson Brands Forums

New Southern Jumbo with ridge on bookmatched seam

JRBC

Hello, I am new to the forum but not guitars, I've been playing just shy of 30 years.  I purchased my first Gibson(s) this summer and ran into the same issue with both, I'm hoping someone has input.  Issue:  visible ridge in back center seam that I can feel with my fingernail in at least 1/3 of the seam.  So shiny the pics are difficult to capture for forum.

I sent back the first purchase which was the 60s wine red j45 (neck too thick as well).  Replaced it with a Southern Jumbo and I love the sound but not the ridge.  
Facts: Luthier says it's ok (emphasizing the internal wood strip running length of seam but that's cold comfort on a new guitar.  I'm within return period with store.  
Questions are:

1- should I return and replace it when back in stock? 2- will it affect resale?

thank you for your input!

JRBC

On 10/11/2022 at 9:08 AM, JRBC said:

Hello, I am new to the forum but not guitars, I've been playing just shy of 30 years.  I purchased my first Gibson(s) this summer and ran into the same issue with both, I'm hoping someone has input.  Issue:  visible ridge in back center seam that I can feel with my fingernail in at least 1/3 of the seam.  So shiny the pics are difficult to capture for forum.

I sent back the first purchase which was the 60s wine red j45 (neck too thick as well).  Replaced it with a Southern Jumbo and I love the sound but not the ridge.  
Facts: Luthier says it's ok (emphasizing the internal wood strip running length of seam but that's cold comfort on a new guitar.  I'm within return period with store.  
Questions are:

1- should I return and replace it when back in stock? 2- will it affect resale?

thank you for your input!

JRBC

Hi  welcome aboard. 

You should repost this in the Acoustic Section of the forum  but,  I think it will be difficult for anyone to give any answers without some sort of visual to inspect.