Gibson Brands Forums

Sting guage for C# tuning?

egoidealmusic

Hey folks,

I've got a couple of songs that I'm liking in C# tuning but it's time to change the strings.  I normally use 12-54s but have seen some who say to increase string guage when detuning.  Anyone have experience with this or string guage suggestions?

Technically I'm not tuning a Gibson down but an all solid parlor guitar, so sorry!

That's pretty loose.  I'm always two steps down on all my guitars using 13's, but I don't have anything parlor.  You could potentially not even have bridgepin holes and nut slots on such a little guitar big enough to accommodate the bigger gauge wound strings.

Not playing along with anything, but there's a couple of cover tunes that are in D tuning but my voice is just a bit lower so it's more comfortable to sing in C# (one is Jason Isbell's "If we were vampires."  The guitar sounds really good with the 12s on them in C# so maybe I'll just stick with a new set of those.  I just had a set of 12.5s I'd gotten about a year ago that I thought might be worth a shot--or they can just sit around for another year!

I may go with 13s (or even the 12.5s I have) next time.  I put a set of Martin Retros on it and am really liking it so far.  I didn't like them on my 50s J-45 when I tried them, hence why they were sitting around, but they seem to work really well with this parlor guitar in that tuning.

Just so you know, it's an all solid Recording King parlor, and it's a fantastic guitar.   You're not paying for the fine touches, but it's a great sounding and playing guitar.  One of the best out of the box setups I've ever seen.  I'd really wanted an L00 but didn't have the funds, and am really happy with it.  It's not my #1 (which is the J-45) but it's a blast to play.