Gibson Brands Forums

Help identifying guitar

93 93/93

Just acquired this guitar as a gift and I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is. I haven't been able to figure this one out. The masking tape on the guitar case has 'ES-125' scribbled on it but I'm not so sure. I can't post any pictures but I'll try to list what I assume to be the important information:

Serial Number 381808 stamped back of pegboard (1966?)

The body of the guitar is symmetrical (no cutaways); Both the top and the bottom of the body are rounded near the fretboard like the ES-150 and ES-300 in these pictures http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2005/10/gibson-es-guitars.html

Kluson Deluxe machines

Two f holes

20 frets

1 volume knob and 1 tone knob in the body of the guitar (not the pickguard)

cherry sunburst

1 chrome pickup near the fretboard (with Gibson logo)

No label or serial number inside body (that I could find)

trapezoid pearl inlays

the dot on the 'i' touches the 'G' in the 'Gibson' logo on the pegboard

Thanks,

John

Woah, that's a nice gift ... you must be a hell of a guy! Congratulations.

It's not as easy without pictures but we can deduce. Well a cherry burst means it could be a 1960s model, but not necessarily. Is there binding on the body, neck, or headstock? (and is it single- or multi-ply?) Can you tell us the measurement in inches of the body at its widest, and how deep or "thick" is it?

There's an ivory-colored binding on the front of the body, the rear of the body, the top of the neck, and the bottom of the neck. There's no binding on the headstock. I'd guess it's single-ply but I'm not sure what to look for with that.

Body at its widest is 16 1/16"

Body is 3 5/16" thick (uniform thickness all around the binding)

Archived