Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird 12-String

DanvillRob

I bought this guitar from Leslie (Forum member).   She told me it was the only Right-Handed Hummingbird 12-String Gibson made in 2010, (I'm guessing the other was a lefty).

Leslie bought it new.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to confirm that.

Serial number:    11890002

Open photo

26 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I bought this guitar from Leslie (Forum member).   She told me it was the only Right-Handed Hummingbird 12-String Gibson made in 2010, (I'm guessing the other was a lefty).

Leslie bought it new.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to confirm that.

Serial number:    11890002

Open photo

I've heard Gibson does not state how many of anything they make, unless stated in the marketing geniuses blub. Like only 200 will be made. If not a limited model its all just guessing.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've heard Gibson does not state how many of anything they make, unless stated in the marketing geniuses blub. Like only 200 will be made. If not a limited model its all just guessing.

Yeah.... you may be right..... maybe the last 3 digits of the serial number not only designate that it was the second guitar made on July 8, 2010....but the second one out of the custom shop?    I'd guess the lefty 'Bird 12-String was a custom order....not sure if Leslie custom ordered this guitar.

2 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Yeah.... you may be right..... maybe the last 3 digits of the serial number not only designate that it was the second guitar made on July 8, 2010....but the second one out of the custom shop?    I'd guess the lefty 'Bird 12-String was a custom order....not sure if Leslie custom ordered this guitar.

The only way to know is to get access to the ledger books (which we wont) if Gibson even kept that kind of info, or have worked there at the time to know.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The only way to know is to get access to the ledger books (which we wont) if Gibson even kept that kind of info, or have worked there at the time to know.

I wonder if Ren has a way to know?    He's probably not on the best of terms with Gibson anymore!

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I wonder if Ren has a way to know?    He's probably not on the best of terms with Gibson anymore!

He might if he was there at the time? You personally know him? I know who he is and why he's a legend in the acoustic field, but yeah, I'm sure Gibson is not going to just let him root around in the secret vault of knowledge. I know he split to work for Guild, and then went on his own. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

He might if he was there at the time? You personally know him? I know who he is and why he's a legend in the acoustic field, but yeah, I'm sure Gibson is not going to just let him root around in the secret vault of knowledge. I know he split to work for Guild, and then went on his own. 

I don't really "KNOW" him....but I talked to him about signing all three of my custom shop Gibsons if/when I go by his place.   I asked him if he could sign inside...he said his paws are too big to fit in the soundhole...but he'd sign the back of the headstock on each guitar.   I'm hoping to go there next year.

2 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I don't really "KNOW" him....but I talked to him about signing all three of my custom shop Gibsons if/when I go by his place.   I asked him if he could sign inside...he said his paws are too big to fit in the soundhole...but he'd sign the back of the headstock on each guitar.   I'm hoping to go there next year.

Yeah the back of the head is a place that doesn't get touched much. I just opened that up for Big Bill again.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper