Gibson Brands Forums

Temperature variance in studio for SJ200 1957 Montana

Zob Bimmerman

I'll be another on the IOU list. I follow manufacturers installation and care manuals. When I got my bird from Bozeman, the first thing I read was the maintenance and care guidelines. That's where I learned what nitro finishes were. The main concepts Gibson stressed was "Humidity", then temperature acclimating ie. finish checking etc..... Humidity in my manual stressed 40% to 60% and seemed to make a big deal of it. What Gibson did not address was the little piece of ground you're standing on with that instrument and how to get there to keep it within their guidelines. As 40 years points out, are the extremes to be paying attention to. The best for mine is in the case with 49% Humidipaks with a hygrometer in the case and maintaing my surroundings I can maintain or be aware of when it comes out of the case. I'll be remitting my dollar in crypto currency. Just tell me where to send it to.

You get a pass.  Too old for crypto. 

I have a couple walls of inspirational 'art' that varies in age from a '36 L00 to a 2020 Martin 0, which all give me great joy to play and enjoy as guitar 'ambiance'.  Very little cracking and shifting, so I guess the relative stability of my environment and quality build of my various guitars is operating cooperatively.  As far as my age, I'm batting in the top of the ninth, so for many years I've let things ride, with not that many to go.  So maybe the guitars will run through another 2 or 3 (or more) passed down lifetimes, with an occasional dollar thrown to luthiers for tuneups and repairs, but I don't ever bank on permanence of any kind.  The enjoyment is a good generous sensuous dose, here for what's serving me now.  

I don't know about laziness.  Some of us buff out every blemish before we put the cover on our Corvette, and others just like to drive, but I appreciate both approaches.