Gibson Brands Forums

Help needed regarding a serial number evaluation, its a Gibson Marauder supposedly by seller, a original 1970ish instrument (but with wrong pickups).......

Bjarni

So there this Gibson Marauder (ive been searching for a original one in Sweden) So its advertised as an original Gibson Marauder (but obviouse is that the pick ups are newer and not original) he claims to have the original pickups, after viewing photos of the pickups this guy has, its clear he has two old pickups but only one of them look original to me!?  The serial number is only six digits but ackording to Gibson it should be eight digits? Does anybody have knowledge about the digits and can read the year of build. Many thanks/from Sweden for any help you can give me. Cheers!

image.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 09.34.18.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 09.59.35.png

Looks authentic.
After reviewing Gibson Marauders found on the internet this morning, I can say that most of them have six serial numbers.
Like so. This is from 1975.
wvujfoadsir0zhjmycey.jpg

Some have eight.  Like this one from 1977 / 1978.
wl5hrtucbgkc8fvt3n8v.jpg

The ones validated to be from 1976 have a completely different stamp on the back of the head stock.
iiar5ud9cu4u6lcohbdd.jpg

So, the one you are considering would be a tobacco sunburst model (only 240 of them ever manufactured in that finish), and it was made in 1979.
Fjestad's Blue Book values yours at approximately 600 Euros.
But all year groups of them are going for right around 1,500 Euros on Reverb.com.

It's nice that the seller has included the original pickups.

😗

Edited by sparquelito

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 12:08 PM, Bjarni said:

sparquelito, do you consider both pickups in the photo to be original Gibson Maruder 1979? The ones ive seen are this kind?:

image.png.60432a22f997bb5ee8f41df3fe677833.png

Good catch, Bjarni.

On second glace, I believe that the conventional humbucker in that top photo is aftermarket, and the green one is original Gibson.

It looks like the 1975 to 1977 Marauder white humbuckers indeed all had those squared-off corners.

Good eyes.