Gibson Brands Forums

What year is my Gibson LG-0 and how do I fix the crack?

suegmc

My vintage Gibson LG-0 arrived today and I am very excited!  It was posted as a 1965 Gibson LG-0, however, based on the serial number (27590), the black pickguard and the rosewood bridge, I am thinking it is actually a 1961; am I correct?   It is in very good shape, except there is a chunk of wood missing and cracks coming from it along the back edge.  Will this affect the playability?  Is there a fix that will not harm the original mahogony?  Thanks for your help!!

CracksinGibson.jpg

SerialNumber.jpg

Nice looking guitar.  If you are concerned about, or see the back further separating from the sides around the damaged area, simply slip a bit of 'Tite-Bond' dark or clear wood glue in the seam on a thin putty knife blade, and clamp the surfaces together with wood or padded protection on the clamps, until a tech can get to the repair.  Just wipe the excess off immediately with a damp rag after clamping.  For all intents and purposes, you really don't need the cosmetic fix.  Just prevent the seam from traveling further.

@jedzep I have to admit, I am just learning guitar, but wanted to learn on something that would make me WANT to pick it up every day!  Our piano was built in 1927, has the original ivory keys and soundboard, and is amazing to play!  So, I wanted to do something similar with a guitar.  I have a very inexpensive classical guitar that I started on a few weeks ago, but wanted a vintage acoustic as well.  I can already tell the difference in sound between the two!

Good luck.  That's why I mentioned getting it set up properly, if you feel the steel strings are tough on your fingertips.  It's a different feel from the nylon, for sure.  If your hands need an even easier feel, buy a decent capo.  You'll find that a capo a couple frets up makes for easier fingering.  I'm an old guy now, so I need easier fretting for a different reason altogether.

If you're already playing piano, you know that the more you play, even if it's discouraging sometimes, the better you get.  My younger brother has just picked up guitar, so I'm coaxing him along.  Told him to just start with the zillions of YT lessons available, and start with easy chord progressions of songs he likes.

Have fun!