Gibson Brands Forums

What Gibson Acoustic is Shania Playin’?

Hype

In the video for ‘No One Needs To Know’ Shania is playin’ a sloped shoulder Gibson acoustic. When I was younger I used to think it was a Natural J-45. However, inspecting the vid more and seeing the white plastic button tuners, I’m beginning to think it’s a J-50. Can anyone confirm my suspicions? 

Shania Twain Playin a J-50?

4 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

This looks to be earlier in her career. Early 90s.

here is a catalog from the early 90s that shows a J45-natural that looks similar. Later in the 1990s J50s seemed to come with the batwing guard.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lqeeialcqg4wim/1991 Gibson Catalog (Japan).pdf?dl=0

8HtQYOQ.jpg

On some J-50s it does come with the regular guard like a J-45, hence why I thought it could be a J-50. But considering the vid is from 1996 and the time period, you may be correct..

1 hour ago, rustystrings said:

Count the frets.  This guitar has 19, not 20, so figure it to be an original J-50 built prior to 1955, when J-45/50 went to 20 frets and the batwing pickguard.   Also, the endpin is exactly that - an endpin, and and NOT a jack for an acoustic electric.

So my original assumption is correct? You guys are the Sherlock Holmes of Gibson Acoustics. I suspected a J-50 based off the white plastic button tuners..

Edited by Hype