Gibson Brands Forums

Questions On 1965 Heritage Acoustic

2woofers

I have a 1965 Gibson Heritage acoustic that I purchased in 1970 and recently placed for sale. The buyer returned it to me stating that the sides and back were laminate. I've seen the post from ballcorner here stating that none of the Heritages were laminate, but I've gotten a lot of emails from a lot of people confusing the issue with this whole laminate/solid wood thing. I'm really confused. Help? Also, the truss rod cover says "Custom" which was on there when I bought it in 1970, but there is no indication that I can see that this came from the Custom Shop. Was that common on this model?

Gibsons aren't known for using laminated wood on the sides/back but the fact is they did use them on occasion in the late 60s and probably into the 70s. I don't know of any resources that could indicate wht models and when, and I doubt Gibson could even tell us. The fact is, they did use laminates sometimes. I had a '68 Dove recently that was laminated. On the plus side, it had no side/back cracks. On the down side, it was a tiny bit heavier than normal.

I'm betting the buyer just wanted to return it and was looking for an excuse. If I bought another old Gibson and I LIKED it I sure wouldn't send it back on such a trifling thing as that.

As to the Custom cover, who knows? I've seen them on many 60s/70s Gibsons and I don't think it has a lot of significance.

It's funny, the question about laminate was the number one question that I received, and a number of people didn't bid because I couldn't prove it was solid wood. Oh well, I really didn't want to sell the guitar anyway. I've had it for 39 years.

May as well keep it and enjoy. It seems that the 'vintage crowd' can be a picky and fickle bunch lately. I think its funny how when you are trying to sell one...it gets picked apart. But when the dealers are selling them its a different story. There may be all kinds of crap wrong with them....BUT still asking 'top dollar'! ....Just my experience...RRod

Wish I could keep it. I'm not selling it because I want to but because I have to. After having it for 39 years it's really hard to part with. I know what you mean about dealers. I've received tons of emails telling me what a piece of garbage I have and how I should let them take it off my hands for $5.00.....................

Archived