Gibson Brands Forums

This breaks my heart!!! KS Daddy... Where are you!!!

Taylor Player

I looked at it and I am not sure there are even a lot of salvage prts -- may KSDADDY would know -- it would take someone with that kind of an eye. You'd probably have to ask yourself WHAT PARTS can I salvage and sell? Which is what I think that guy has already done. I thing he sold all the good stuff. Not much of a project guitar to be sure. Lots of things you can do with $500 besides a project like that. (same for old cars, T Birds, Merc's -- old planes, old boats. All kind of the same sort of problem. There was a guy selling an old 40 foot sailboat (Erikson I think -- lots of wood) and a guy I knew who was looking at it up in Oceanside. Well to tell the truth you'd spend the rest of your life fixing it if you could find a place to set it (and live in it like a trailer) -- but that old boat was never going to go in the water again.

You know, in 1984 I bought a 1955 ES-295 that wasn't in much better condition for $100. Even had the big hole in the side, covered by a big metal plate. It had most of the parts though. One of my first restoration projects. My dummass though.... I thought 295s were gold TOP with stained sides and back a la Les Paul. I should have done it all gold. It's out there somewhere.... lost it in a horse trade for a 335.

I did email the guy and said if it didn't get snatched up to let me know nd maybe we could work together.

I'm glad to hear that this poor old guitar is likely to be rescued. I'm a sucker for the poor old guitar/bike etc. in distress.

Some of the best guitars I've ever had started out like this. My much-missed '31 Gibson L-4 with the round soundhole had no frets, no hardware, a big hole in the side like this 175, plus holes for volume and tone pots AND a big hole for a pickup in the top. I had it repaired and made playable - no attempt at restoration, just make it into a playable guitar - and it was just wonderful, the most distinctive sounding guitar with a liveliness and a cutting tone with just enough thump ...

Then there was the c.1950 J-45 that came to me already professionally refinished - but the neck block had popped loose on the bass side, and there were literally 20 cracks in the top and back. I waited a long time for the shop to fix that one - the last time I used that shop, for that matter - but it got a neck set, neck block reglued, repairs, frets, etc. That guitar forever altered how I hear guitars, and it serves my brother to this day.

Somebody save this poor old thing - if I wasn't so stony broke I'd be jumping on it, and planning on how to fix the excess holes and fit it with one P-90 ...

Russ

I would go with Gloss Black..... and one P90. What a great blues guitar that would make.

Is it me or does it look like there is probably a hole in the back too? The 2nd top photo through the f hole looks like the ground and there is no photo of the back of the guitar.

Archived