Gibson Brands Forums

Best pickup for a J45 ???

sandpiper

I need some advice on acoustic pickups.

I have been using the M1A for a few years now and like it aside from two things. It is a bit mid-heavy, which actually works for the church I play at, but not everywhere else. And the biggest complaint is that my strings often clip the magnets on the pickup causing it to sound like string buzz. I have lowered and lowered the magnets and it still happens and now is starting to affect my playing. SO...

I've heard great things about the K&K mini western, but have heard that it does not do well in loud environments. I always play in a loud environment, in front of drums. Would this be a constant struggle for me? Even if I use a soundhole cover?

Any other recommendations?

Hi sandpiper...

I have a K & K mini in my gibson Advanced Jumbo. I have played it in a loud church setting with electric guitars, bass, drums, piano and vocals. Never have had a problem. I can go straight into the PA system. Since the K & K has no active pre-amp, (no battery in your guitar) I use a LR Baggs PARA DI which gives me the pre-amp and feedback control. I wouldn't recommend just using the K & K straight into an amp or PA without using an external preamp. They are wonderful sounding pickups though and I am likely going to have one installed in my LG1 when I get around to having some work done on it.

2nd vote for the K&K Pure Western Mini. I installed it in my J45 modern classic, and I like the tone much more than the stock Baggs Element that came with it. I also recommend an external pre-amp/DI box; I liked the Baggs PADI when I had it, but I am now using the Fishman ProEQ Platinum. They are comparable in price and features, but I think the Fishman has a bit more headroom; the sound is not as compressed. I've been very surprised at how much of a difference the external pre-amp can make to the sound of this pickup.

No!

What you need is a Seymour Duncan SH-4 Black Jeff Beck Bridge pup. I have one on my Strat and it's great!

So I put one on the J45. The Box needed a little mod here and there, I never played the top three frets anyway but I made a bit of a CU fitting the two volume and two tone knobs ( There's a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb Humbucker Covered Nickel fitted by the saddle)

Seriously My J45 has an old 1989 LRB active which has always done me well, compares very favourably with the LRB inj the SWD 12.

Archived