Gibson Brands Forums

NGD..(used Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500MNS

ALD323

Owned an Epiphone AJ-500MNS some years ago, but very regretfully sold it off. Big mistake! Anyway I found a nice 2010 used one in excellent shape, it was hardly played at all with gorgeous mahogany back and sides, and run out free sitka top.  So I took the chance. Oh what a wonderful sounding guitar! Anyone else have one of these gems? Sorry I can't put pics in, it says I exceeded some limit but doesn't say how to fix it.  But this AJ-500MNS plays like new, rich, warm, woody, thick, dark,  delicious.  I almost want to eat it!! lol! Oh and the woody smell....it's a 2010 and still has that rich woody scent of hog! Just wonderful guitars. It's a shame they discontinued them. Got mine back..it will never leave again!! Baby is home!!!

I have four Masterbilts from that era and I wouldn't part with any of them. I consider them to be hidden treasures.  Since Gibson bought Epi in the 50's they have relegated the brand to  producing low to mid grade instruments. These Masterbilts were a breakout from that mediocrity. The fact that you can get them for under $500 is amazing. Nothing that Epiphone has produced since then can compare.

Mel

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 7:56 PM, bubba1281734205 said:

I have four Masterbilts from that era and I wouldn't part with any of them. I consider them to be hidden treasures.  Since Gibson bought Epi in the 50's they have relegated the brand to  producing low to mid grade instruments. These Masterbilts were a breakout from that mediocrity. The fact that you can get them for under $500 is amazing. Nothing that Epiphone has produced since then can compare.

Mel

bubba thanks! What strings do you favor on your AJ-500M, 80/20's or PB's   gauges? thx ...Loving mine at the moment!