Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson’s VOS finish

rbpicker

48 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Good - the pebbles are no aesthetical disaster. . 

And probably comes wilder across on the photo. 

Nah, it really looks (and feels) like that.  I described it as orange peel in another thread.  I played one before I really understood what ML or VOS meant,  just that it was the latest release.  I put the thing back because I thought it looked like a mistake/factory second. I assumed the nitro had been rushed and not allowed to cure correctly between layers.  Now that I even know what the point of ML and Relic-ing is, I’m  still not impressed.  It has all the hallmarks and drawbacks of a poor finish. It doesn’t look “aged” at all.  Even back then my neophyte eyes could tell it didn’t look like all the real vintage ones from the 40/50s onward, with honest aging, hanging on the same wall next to it.   

Edited by PrairieDog

10 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Nah, it really looks (and feels) like that.  I described it as orange peel in another thread.  I played one before I really understood what ML or VOS meant,  just that it was the latest release.  I put the thing back because I thought it looked like a mistake/factory second. I assumed the nitro had been rushed and not allowed to cure correctly between layers.  Now that I even know what the point of ML and Relic-ing is, I’m  still not impressed.  It has all the hallmarks and drawbacks of a poor finish. It doesn’t look “aged” at all.  Even back then my neophyte eyes could tell it didn’t look like all the real vintage ones from the 40/50s onward, with honest aging, hanging on the same wall next to it.   

Okay - and have to agree. My 4 vintage squares look nothing like, , , neither do the 50s/60s slopes. . 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everybody, I just bought a Historic Collection Custom Shop Southern Jumbo (1942 banner) reissue. 

Does anybody know what happens if you clean/polish the Thin Finish Nitrocellulose, VOS finish it comes with?

Does it turn the guitar into a completely different glossy look?

If you just clean it with a damp cloth, it won’t make it glossy. But if you WANT to make it shinier,, if you used a cleaner like Virtuoso or a compound like Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound applied by hand and put some effort into it, followed by a good polish, it will definitely get shinier. It just won’t be as shiny as a full gloss finish.

• Upvote 1