Gibson Brands Forums

1968 or so B-25 Tuners

Gibson29

The Klusons 3-on-a-plate enclosed tuners are becoming pretty hard to move, my friend that owns it is 70, and while he normally plays a Songwriter from 2008, it’s still his first guitar.  Any advice or ideas for  changing them out?

I’ve changed out the strings on a few occasions, and just recently put on a set of med Straight Up Strings (which are actually light) and that thing..while sure, not that J-45 or Songwriter sound, still sounds great. Neck takes some getting use to, skinny.

I  had those slowing down for my on a  '64  LG1.   I cleaned the innards out and oiled them and it made a big difference.   Although enclosed, you have to remove them to replace them,  so you can try using a bunch of WD40 shot in there to force out all the dirt and clean and then some type of lubricating oil.  Before putting back on, they should work fine. BUT, of course, if they don't = you are no worse off and can order a replacement set.  Difficulty, obviously, is getting a set that matches the holes already in the headstock.  Others here will no doubt have that info.  

• Thanks 1