Gibson Brands Forums

V.I.C in neck pickup cavity 1983 Lp standard

Jaytm401

I have a guy selling a guitar and before buying it I wanted to know a little more about a stamp in the neck pickup cavity.  There is an ink stamp in big block letters of  V.I.C.  I was wanting to understand what the meaning of this is.   It is a 1983 LP standard. There is a name written in cursive within the bridge pickup cavity but can’t make it out because of the clear coat over it. Everything about this guitar looks like a vintage 59 or 60 model but doesn’t have the reissue serial numbers. This guitar  has the a long serial number.  It has the bridge post like the 59’s where the studs go straight into the wood. Has ABR 1.   Were the 83 standards all made like the reissue models ?

IMG_5538.jpeg

IMG_5540.jpeg

Edited by Jaytm401
Add pictures

Looks to be a bitsa to me. The green tinged tuning pegs would appear to be those of an early 1960 classic but they didn't appear until 1990. the custom shop didn't appear until 93 but there were some "prehistoric" reissues which should have a art and historic decal under the finish on the headstock. 

I think it;s probably a 1983 LP std which has has an ABR1 bridge fitted and green Kluson style tuners, otherwise the Nashville bridge was fitted from 1975. It could be a 1960 classic but if so, you've got the year wrong. What makes you say it's 83? It would also be the most figured classic I've ever seen.

Better pics would help. I've be interested to see the inlays close up (subtle shape differences are a clue). The actual serial number might help to ensure the year is right. Pot codes would potentially give us a better date as well. 

Also, might a trick of the photograph but I've never seen a Gibson guitar with the tuners mounted on top of the serial number. 

Edited by Farnsbarns