Gibson Brands Forums

new guy

geezer1

Hello,

I just started playing again after walking away from a garage band over 40 years ago. The reason I'm here is because I've always been a Gibson man. I started again when a cheap lp knock off was given to me to see if I could even play anymore.  My first electric was a used Epiphone I believe was a 1966 gifted to me in 1969. My first new Gibson was an RD7 in 1978. Two years later I traded it and $300 in for a Silverburst Flying V. I had to give it all up 2 years after that. Sold it and my amp all for $400. Long story. Anyway, I'm far enough along that other than some arthritis limitations in my wrist, I feel good enough to buy another V now. Problem is, when I bought the other guitars, I just walked in the store, took the one I wanted off the wall, tried it out, paid for it and left. That was it. The problem now: I've been to several stores and not a single Flying V to be found! I looked online and the prices for new ones are around $1500 -$2500.  But the used ones like the Silverburst I owned are like $5000 - $10000!! What the heck is going on? I don't feel right paying thousands of dollars for a guitar I can't even try out.

Needless to say, any advice?  Thanks

G1

Hi - welcome.  I am in the UK so can only give limited advice.

'Buy-online' ( AFAIK) is good in the USA as you can usually return something if you are not happy with it and the retailer will pay the postage.   Or there is a 30-day refund policy.   Guitar Center, etc.  I hope some USA members will come in here with names of stores as many here do buy online.   I have too.  I knew what I wanted, what to look for and most importantly how to judge/assess what I was looking at in each case.  

I'm no expert but  almost any Gibson V model in good condition, new or used, I would expect to be around $2k.    

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Collection/designer

You might consider an Epiphone V at first, much cheaper,  although if you want a real  V again (at your age!) you must have one. [wink]  They are out there.

And, are there any guitar setup/repair guys near you as any new guitar benefits a lot from some expert attention.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard.  I purchased my last two basses and one guitar from Sweetwater.  I was in the same boat that you are now.  The models I was looking for were not available anywhere in the Austin area, even at Guitar Center.  So I was buying on faith since I couldn’t “test drive” them first.  I was satisfied with each purchase, but had I not been happy, I could have returned any of them within 30 days for refund or exchange.  I have also purchased some gear (non-guitar) from American Musical Supply and Zzounds and have always been satisfied.

Edited by tx-ogre

On 12/14/2023 at 2:30 PM, jdgm said:

Hi - welcome.  I am in the UK so can only give limited advice.

'Buy-online' ( AFAIK) is good in the USA as you can usually return something if you are not happy with it and the retailer will pay the postage.   Or there is a 30-day refund policy.   Guitar Center, etc.  I hope some USA members will come in here with names of stores as many here do buy online.   I have too.  I knew what I wanted, what to look for and most importantly how to judge/assess what I was looking at in each case.  

I'm no expert but  almost any Gibson V model in good condition, new or used, I would expect to be around $2k.    

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Collection/designer

You might consider an Epiphone V at first, much cheaper,  although if you want a real  V again (at your age!) you must have one. [wink]  They are out there.

And, are there any guitar setup/repair guys near you as any new guitar benefits a lot from some expert attention.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input.  I think that is what I'll do. You are right, they do have return policies in places like Guitar center. I'm gonna try to keep it under 3grand. Still kicking myself for getting rid of mine so cheap but there is a desperate story I'll save for later. 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 4:25 PM, tx-ogre said:

Welcome aboard.  I purchased my last two basses and one guitar from Sweetwater.  I was in the same boat that you are now.  The models I was looking for were not available anywhere in the Austin area, even at Guitar Center.  So I was buying on faith since I couldn’t “test drive” them first.  I was satisfied with each purchase, but had I not been happy, I could have returned any of them within 30 days for refund or exchange.  I have also purchased some gear (non-guitar) from American Musical Supply and Zzounds and have always been satisfied.

Thankyou! That makes me feel a lot better. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm using a cheap LP knock off a friend gave me to knock the rust off. You get what you pay for. It's a $200 guitar and I'm getting splinters, fretwire cuts, and keeping it in tune is futile. lol Didn't realize how spoiled I was!