Gibson Brands Forums

Question about a “baby” Gibson

Drewny75

There is a long history of 3/4 guitars.  There are a couple of early ones in these pictures.

On the left -- 1935 L-00 3/4 (X- braced)

On the right -- 1942 Kalamazoo Sport Model (Ladder braced)

C5ff36T.jpg

iWsn9T5.jpg

Those were only sold from the mid 30s to the early 40s.  Then in 1957 a ladder braced version was reissued as the LG-1 3/4.  A few were made into the 60s.  Woody Guthrie bought one for Arlo, so later Gibson brought out a ladder braced (at Arlo's insistence) Arlo Guthrie version.

Best,

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 1:52 PM, tpbiii said:

There is a long history of 3/4 guitars.  There are a couple of early ones in these pictures.

On the left -- 1935 L-00 3/4 (X- braced)

On the right -- 1942 Kalamazoo Sport Model (Ladder braced)

C5ff36T.jpg

iWsn9T5.jpg

Those were only sold from the mid 30s to the early 40s.  Then in 1957 a ladder braced version was reissued as the LG-1 3/4.  A few were made into the 60s.  Woody Guthrie bought one for Arlo, so later Gibson brought out a ladder braced (at Arlo's insistence) Arlo Guthrie version.

Best,

-Tom

Oh wow thanks for this.  I did a little more research and found out mine is from 1958.  I absolutely love it and decided to do a high sting tuning (Nashville) on it.  Its a really cool little instrument sand sounds beautiful.