Gibson Brands Forums

B45-12 Owner Question/Request

lcjones

Folks,

I have a  '66 B45-12 with adj rosewood saddle and trapeze and it has pretty high action. I'm trying to find the fret board plane to the bridge on a normal B45-12 with same rosewood saddle and trapeze.  If someone would have the time and inclination, I would request a pic showing a straight edge on the fret board to the bridge/saddle. I'm looking to see if the fret board is aligned even on the top of the bridge or if it aligns higher on to the rosewood saddle.

Thanks and appreciation for taking the time.

Chap 

The closest I could come to a reliable straightedge was a 24" square. I think it's close enough. The square clears the top of the bridge (not saddle) by between 1/16" and 1/8". Ideally the straightedge would be lightly touching the top of the bridge. This one's top might be sunken just a tiny bit, which is typical of a trapeze tailpiece setup. This is a 1969 B45-12.

QMCFkAW.jpg

F3dCcFB.jpg

sNci6hl.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

The closest I could come to a reliable straightedge was a 24" square. I think it's close enough. The square clears the top of the bridge (not saddle) by between 1/16" and 1/8". Ideally the straightedge would be lightly touching the top of the bridge. This one's top might be sunken just a tiny bit, which is typical of a trapeze tailpiece setup. This is a 1969 B45-12.

QMCFkAW.jpg

F3dCcFB.jpg

sNci6hl.jpg

ksdaddy,

Thank you very much, The photos help me quite a bit. Is your action fairly low? Seems it would be if the top has dropped around the bridge area. Is that a ceramic or a bone saddle?

Long story short.... I bought the B45 knowing it had high action. The seller said it needed a neck reset.  As an experiment, and rather than a traditional neck reset, I have steamed the top using the John Miner method  (search John Miner Luthier on Youtube). And frankly, it worked. However, I believe I didn't angle the neck just right. So I believe I'll steam her again.

Before steaming ............

IMG_2289.JPG

During steamings .....

IMG_2291.JPG

After steaming ......

IMG_2295.JPG

I am no expert having only owned two B45-12s - a '63 and a '61 (which I still play).  Both sported tailpieces but are a different beast than yours having been built before Gibson started going with heavier bracing in late-1964.  These guitars though were particularly prone to top deformation if you did not keep them tuned down at least one whole step.  I have always erred on the side of caution and tuned down 1 1/2 steps.  There is some distortion on my '61 around the soundhole.  At some point, somebody had attempted to deal with it by beefing up the soundhole bracing.  Apparently, it worked as the top has remained stable. 

6 hours ago, lcjones said:

ksdaddy,

Thank you very much, The photos help me quite a bit. Is your action fairly low? Seems it would be if the top has dropped around the bridge area. Is that a ceramic or a bone saddle?

The action is fairly low. There is a possibility the neck has been reset on this one. It’s not 100% clear to me but the finish at the neck joint area raises my suspicions. Whoever did it, did an amazing job, I’ve just been known to use a jewelers loupe. I could fire up the blacklight I guess. It is a ceramic saddle. That’s how I bought it.  The rosewood one was in the case and I swapped it out one day. Sounded dead. 

Thanks, again ksdaddy. My J50 has a ceramic saddle and I really like it. Keeping an  eye out for another ceramic. Yes, the rosewood on the B45 is pretty thunky, not to mention a bridge plate the size of Oklahoma. Tone killer to be sure on the 12. I have a J45 in the shop being worked on with a rosewood saddle. Also with a large bridge plate that's being replaced. I'm hoping that will brighten her up a bit.

Edited by lcjones

8 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I am no expert having only owned two B45-12s - a '63 and a '61 (which I still play).  Both sported tailpieces but are a different beast than yours having been built before Gibson started going with heavier bracing in late-1964.  These guitars though were particularly prone to top deformation if you did not keep them tuned down at least one whole step.  I have always erred on the side of caution and tuned down 1 1/2 steps.  There is some distortion on my '61 around the soundhole.  At some point, somebody had attempted to deal with it by beefing up the soundhole bracing.  Apparently, it worked as the top has remained stable. 

I appreciate your thoughts and information, zombywolf. Thank you.