Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-335 TDC w/Bigsby

SillyHobo

Does anybody else miss/or wish Gibson would reproduce this guitar?

3663_12.jpg

I mean, yeah, one might say, "Just get a 355", but they're not the same. Not IMO anyway.

nataschafrankfurt14.jpg

See, if it wasn't for money, or my suspicions about the Custom Shop, (honestly, I have to order and PAY for 25 guitars of the same color and make, just for them to make a guitar to my specs?! Oh c'mon), i'd definately buy a vintage one, but at the same time, I loathe seeing the 335 TDC's that originally had a stop-tail, and then to cover the holes, they stuck a "Custom Made" badge on there. Thats disgusting, they should just be immaculate, but then again, neither is my Epiphone, but there was no choice in that matter

7a0d_3.jpg

DSCN0966.jpg

That red one is beautiful! This isn't helping my Bigsby-lust right now, I'll tell you that...

I have an old 70's 335TD w/ trapeze tailpiece, but I no longer play it because the neck shape is so bad it must've been a defect. I've played other TD's from around the same time, and no two necks felt the same actually. So I'd love if they made these again, but they'd have to get the necks right! lol

A couple years years ago, the canadian distributor did a special run of 50 guitars almost identical to the one in your original post. It was a cherry red 335 with block inlays and a Bigsby, but it had the "Custom Made" plaque similar to this one here...

EH5830bigsby.jpg

The only difference is the Ltd. Edition one has a maple leaf at each end instead of the "star" design.

I tried googling it but couldn't find any info on it. There's a shop in town that still has a "new" one on the wall. It has a few dings and they're asking $2,999 canadian (about $2,469 US).

That red one is beautiful! This isn't helping my Bigsby-lust right now' date=' I'll tell you that...

I have an old 70's 335TD w/ trapeze tailpiece, but I no longer play it because the neck shape is so bad it must've been a defect. I've played other TD's from around the same time, and no two necks felt the same actually. So I'd love if they made these again, but they'd have to get the necks right! lol[/quote']

You wouldn't regret it.

Everytime i play a semi-hollow w/out a trem, i think to myself, "UGH! YOU'RE INCOMPLETE!"

It just doesn't look or feel right without it.

Canadian eh? Hmmm, well, $2500 is a lot cheaper than $5000 for the 1963 Historic and then adding the bigsby.

If there's anything that i'm bothered by its Gibson pays more attention to the Les Pauls than ES.

I played the satin finish 335 at Guitar Center thru a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50. No neck binding. Its a Gibson for crying out loud, why is it missing the binding. Pickups and strings, EVERYTHING, absolutely lovely.

I play the new model Les Paul, burstbucker, plek'd, etc. Sounds hollow and tin-y. Its like water, but worse. See to describe clarity and depth but still wholesome, water. To describe the Les Paul, soul-less. Dirty or clean, it was just off. Could've been the setup, but still, the 335 sounded much better, yet, has no gloss and no neck binding.

What gives?

But i digress. I love the 335's. And i'd love to see the TD's w/Bigsby's back.

See, i'd have a TDC, a TD in black, and a sunburst TD in the same sunburst as my Epiphone (on the 335, apart from the triburst, that black and yellow sunburst combo on the ES & CS series is just awful, or only common and subpar, no depth or beauty). Everything the same, except, push-pull pots, to add that extra bit of versatility.

The Gibson ES-335 TD, THE MOST versatile guitar in the world, just got even more versatile, to welcome in all players of different styles and likings. Thin necks, thick necks, whatever.

But thats me. For right now, i'm stuck w/my Epiphone which is nice, but, c'mon, if anyone had an Epiphone Dot and were given the chance to get a 335, they all would

Gold hardware and a wannabe Les Paul Custom Headstock make it deny its awesome ES heritage. Plus, its the lazy man's ES-335 w/Bigsby. I also know that i read somewhere that its slightly shorter, though i could be wrong

EDIT:

And a ton of bad reviews I used to read about it on Guitar Center and Musiciansfriend (to be honest though, I thought they were all unfounded and likely preposterous, but seriously, for a while, to me, it had a seriously bad rap online when buying the new Memphis model)

Well, when I bought mine I didn't mean to. That is, I went out ot try out some 335s but when I played the 355 it was a world apart in tone and sustain. I didn't get it for the Bigsby, either, though I've grown to like it (a bit!) and I certainly didn't get influenced by any "wannabe Les Paul" headstock. It's just the 355 headstock as far as I'm concerned. Gold hardware was around in 1958 so that's all a part of the awesome heritage.

Well' date=' when I bought mine I didn't mean to. That is, I went out ot try out some 335s but when I played the 355 it was a world apart in tone and sustain. I didn't get it for the Bigsby, either, though I've grown to like it (a bit!) and I certainly didn't get influenced by any "wannabe Les Paul" headstock. It's just the 355 headstock as far as I'm concerned. Gold hardware was around in 1958 so that's all a part of the awesome heritage.[/quote']

But the gold hardware looks so cheesy, atleast IMO

And for me its like, I look at a Gibson Black Beauty, and then at a 355, and compare headstocks, the only difference is the truss rod cover.

Oh and I always loved the bigsby, its weird without one, but i guess in your case you get used to it, but you have to learn to use it tastefully

Archived