Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on true or fake 2015 Hummingbird

johannes

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to buy a 2015 Hummingbird relatively cheap (EUR2000,-) for my location (Netherlands).

Maybe expensive guitars are not the thing for me because as soon as I realized that I wanted to buy it started to worry whether it was maybe a fake.

One things that makes me worry is the pickguard which seems to be relatively faded. All other hummingbirds I see have very clear white and yellow lines in the pickguard while this one has not.

The second thing is that the Grover tuners have a dull finish.

Maybe the guitar was kept under wrong condition that caused the finish of the tuners to oxidize relatively fast or maybe the tuners are fake and the quality of the finish was simply worse than the original causing it to become dull over time.  

Would love to get advice whether the pickguard and tuners condition should be considered unusual or not.

Many thanks in advance. Regrards, Johannes

bird.thumb.jpg.769cd91afa5208929f3ebc15a92f07dc.jpgJohannes 

Looks good. It’s not uncommon to see that  sort of tarnishing on Grover tuners on guitars kept out of the case in a humid environment. if it were my purchase, I’d be putting on a nice set of tulip tuners, anyhow. The pickguard is fine- it’s just evidence that the guitar has been played… In that case, check the frets for excessive wear, and maybe get a mirror & get a look inside. . . you know, to make sure it’s not growing any mushrooms, etc.

On 2/14/2024 at 12:37 AM, johannes said:

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to buy a 2015 Hummingbird relatively cheap (EUR2000,-) for my location (Netherlands).

Maybe expensive guitars are not the thing for me because as soon as I realized that I wanted to buy it started to worry whether it was maybe a fake.

One things that makes me worry is the pickguard which seems to be relatively faded. All other hummingbirds I see have very clear white and yellow lines in the pickguard while this one has not.

The second thing is that the Grover tuners have a dull finish.

Maybe the guitar was kept under wrong condition that caused the finish of the tuners to oxidize relatively fast or maybe the tuners are fake and the quality of the finish was simply worse than the original causing it to become dull over time for Panasonic DMR-EH55 [66/84] Summary of settings.  

Would love to get advice whether the pickguard and tuners condition should be considered unusual or not.

Many thanks in advance. Regrards, Johannes

bird.thumb.jpg.769cd91afa5208929f3ebc15a92f07dc.jpgJohannes 

Is this a real or fake Gibson Hummingbird Pro serial number is supposedly from 2011. has anyone ever seen the Gibson Hummingbird Pro faked? The only thing I’m suspicious about is it is supposed to have an LR Baggs pick-up system and I don’t think this pick-up is. Otherwise plays great and looks great. thanks in advance.

Everything look fine - it's a Hummingbird Standard (opposed to the True Vintage models from those years). Has embedded flora/fauna, Grovers and a black-ring-rosette. *

I had one of these - a very yellow flier without any dot over the l. Sounded good but almost too sweet. Was necessary to return it after a week. 

* Also slightly heavier back braces than the TV.