Gibson Brands Forums

Heads up on the Gibson Garage in London

Yorkie

I just wanted to give a heads up for the Gibson Garage at 61 - 62  East Castle Street London W1 8NQ. I went there on  Wed 24th April  with my 1967 ES330  I wanted them to take a look at it as it had been in storage since 1971 The shop has only been open for 2 months I was told . The staff were brilliant just so friendly . I have never seen a guitar shop like that before . I wish I could put pictures on her but it wont let me. Anyway they changed the strings  checked the intonation and generally checked it over. They told me It was a lovely instrument . I think every one of them had a go playing it surprisingly they said they never see guitars of that age. I would recommend the shop to anyone in the UK .

Cool! Re pics: use a site like imgur to upload the pics then paste the “direct link” (if you are using imgur) in a post here.  The images should pop up.  Love to see the pics of the Garage and the guitar! 

Edited by PrairieDog

On 4/26/2024 at 12:52 PM, PrairieDog said:

Cool! Re pics: use a site like imgur to upload the pics then paste the “direct link” (if you are using imgur) in a post here.  The images should pop up.  Love to see the pics of the Garage and the guitar! 

Me too.

I have to go to London this year. I will try to visit. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Me too.

I have to go to London this year. I will try to visit. 

5 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

I wish I lived a life that had me saying, “I *have* to go to London”  😀 Have fun, if you get to.  

Whoops! I meant to quote Yorkie! Sorry PrairieDog.

Anyway Cherry's family bought us another 'London Experience' again this year. Normally I avoid London. That said, everyone we met there put themselves out to be really friendly and helpful. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Whoops! I meant to quote Yorkie! Sorry PrairieDog.

Anyway Cherry's family bought us another 'London Experience' again this year. Normally I avoid London. That said, everyone we met there put themselves out to be really friendly and helpful. 

Chuckle, no worries… and I kinda forget that London for you is like a trip to Lake Superior for us 😁 I was in England in 1976 (yes, I spent the bicenntennial July 4th with the Redcoats, lol.)  I had a wonderful time.  My family has deep roots in Britain.  My mom’s side came from the Potteries.  My g-g uncle was a china painter, and his dad built a pub called the Golden Crown in Henley?  It’s still a thing off and on, from what I can tell.  At one point a few years back it was advertised for lease “come to england and run a real life pub!” I paused for just a second… 😄

Edited by PrairieDog

11 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Chuckle, no worries… and I kinda forget that London for you is like a trip to Lake Superior for us 😁 I was in England in 1976 (yes, I spent the bicenntennial July 4th with the Redcoats, lol.)  I had a wonderful time.  My family has deep roots in Britain.  My mom’s side came from the Potteries.  My g-g uncle was a china painter, and his dad built a pub called the Golden Crown in Henley?  It’s still a thing off and on, from what I can tell.  At one point a few years back it was advertised for lease “come to england and run a real life pub!” I paused for just a second… 😄

I turned down a job as a bar cellarman once I realised everything involved (I was still very young). I have family and friends that have run pubs as landlords. Its demanding work! Especially when the patrons get unruly. 

I did a quick search for Golden Crown in Henley, but didn't find anything young enough to qualify

Oddly enough I went to the USA in 1976 and returned in 1977. I recall the lamp posts were painted with the Stars & Stripes in Baltimore for the Bicentennial celebrations. Those uppity colonists eh? 🇺🇸

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I turned down a job as a bar cellarman once I realised everything involved (I was still very young). I have family and friends that have run pubs as landlords. Its demanding work! Especially when the patrons get unruly. 

I did a quick search for Golden Crown in Henley, but didn't find anything young enough to qualify

Oddly enough I went to the USA in 1976 and returned in 1977. I recall the lamp posts were painted with the Stars & Stripes in Baltimore for the Bicentennial celebrations. Those uppity colonists eh? 🇺🇸

Oops! It’s the “Golden Cup!” Sorry.   As to the age, I should have clarified. I’m speaking of folks who doing in the mid-1800s through the turn of the century.  If you happened to see the Golden Cup Inn in Henley come up in the google, that is the right one.  (I come from a weirdly deep-generationed family, so my gg-uncle was born  around 1850).  And while the pub name has been continued, the building that’s on the register in the place where my grand’s pub was may have been rebuilt after a fire or something. We just found something indicating the building and facade may only go back to the turn of the 20th century.   My gg-grandfather was listed as the pub owner on that spot in the 1870s. 

Oh, and yeah, re being a publican, I couldn’t keep the hours anymore 😄 but it was fun dreaming about it.  It is a tiny spot, but I thought what fun to have a session room in the back room for music!

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1