Gibson Brands Forums

Best of the best Gibson Les paul custom ebony Black beauty since 1980

Belva

To Are nine: holy shites so I'm basically paying 1000 hundred dollars more for a gloss finish ?!!?!?!?

No' date=' high gloss costs $300 more than th VOS finish on a [u']new[/u] guitar. Used it should be around the same, maybe $100 more. Like Rich said, the reason the one in the eBay link I posted costs $1,000 more is because it's basically brand new. The one you posted is like 12 years old.

Does a 1986 les paul custom have a long tenon neck? Let me know.

So a 1985 les paul custom will be wieght relieved for example ?

Did you not look at the link I provided earlier? The info is in the first post.

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=18137

Weight relief started in 1982. Also in '82, the neck reverted to the original specification of one-piece mahogany with no volute rather than 3-piece maple with the volute. The headstock angle also returned to the original 17 degrees rather than 14 degrees. These neck changes satisfied the purists, and repair shops eagerly awaited the steady stream of broken headstocks once more...

Here's a thread dedicated to LP Custom history. One or two inaccuracies, but interesting nevertheless. Includes a sweet looking pancake.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1914987

If you want a thick' date=' beefy, warm Les Paul tone, you'll need an original 80's Les Paul Custom from about 11 or 12 lbs. Think about Slash/Metallica/Zakk Wylde. The Les Pauls were far heavier back then with different woods, which gave them a thicker/darker tone. VOS players like their Les Pauls to be as light as possible and hate a 'thick' or too bassy Les Paul tone. Why? It's a rock guitar, not a rockabilly guitar.

It's up to you.[/quote']

Slash didn't play a Custom...

As for these VOS players you speak of, not all of them want the lightest possible guitars. I'd say that the weight of historics ranges from 8 lbs to 9.5 lbs. 9.5 lbs isn't exactly light. Light compared to a 14lb Norlin Custom, yes...but generally speaking, it's not light.

Well I gotta tell you, when I picked out my Custom back in 1992, I was working at a music store at a time and got to play a lot of them; I easily checked out over 50 of them of various models. The one I bought was miles ahead of the rest of them and I didn't even want another black guitar; none were bad, but this one was exceptional. So, I recommend trying out more than just some if you are anywhere near as picky about guitars as I am.

You guys are dead wrong and are giving out false information.

A Gibson Les Paul Custom does not have long neck tenon and does not have a solid mahogany body. Les Paul Customs are weight-relieved.

A Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Custom VOS refers to Vintage Orginal Spec. These are also referred to as historics' date=' R7BB, & B7. A VOS [u']does[/u] have long neck tenon and does have a solid mahogany body. These Customs are built to resemble, but not exactly, a 1950s era Les Paul Custom. VOS also refers to the aged look that trypically comes on these guitars.

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=18137

To clarify...

This Custom has short neck tenon and 9 weight-relief holes.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

This Custom has a long neck tenon and no weight-relief. It is completely solid.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1957-Les-Paul-Custom-2-PU-VOS.aspx

Belva, you can also buy chambered historic Customs. They are referred to as "Cloud 9" and all of them have a serial number that begins with CR.

you forgot, the LP Custom(1968-present) has a maple top while the 50s LP Customs and Historic Customs are all mahogany. the 50s Customs doesn`t even have a separate "top", its all 1 piece mahogany. the historic customs are also all mahogany but has a separate mahogany "top".

The one I bought was miles ahead of the rest of them and I didn't even want another black guitar; none were bad' date=' but this one was exceptional.[/quote']

What is 'exceptional'?

I think there's no such thing as an exceptional Les Paul. You'll discover the 'bad' things/issues from any guitar once you've played the damn thing for about a year or longer...> hardware issues, tuning issues, playability issues.

I don't believe in a perfect Les Paul. Even if 1 string isn't resonating as much as the others (in open tunings), I consider that as a 'fault'.

Those little issues can drive guitarists like crazy. If WOULD be the perfect Les Paul IF....and so on. In the end there's no perfect Les Paul with 0 issues.

What is 'exceptional'?

I think there's no such thing as an exceptional Les Paul. You'll discover the 'bad' things/issues from any guitar once you've played the damn thing for about a year or longer...> hardware issues' date=' tuning issues, playability issues.

I don't believe in a perfect Les Paul. Even if 1 string isn't resonating as much as the others (in open tunings), I consider that as a 'fault'.

Those little issues can drive guitarists like crazy. If WOULD be the perfect Les Paul IF....and so on. In the end there's no perfect Les Paul with 0 issues.[/quote']

Well, to me, exceptional means a guitar that vibrates a lot when I play it so that I get some good tactile response out of it and that the whole thing has a natural resonant frequency that works for me (don't know what that frequency is, but I know it when I feel it).

The only complaints I have about the guitar are that it's black, has some minor chipping in the finish around the tailpiece posts and the fretboard isn't *perfectly* aligned with the neck. Other than the cosmetic issues, it plays perfectly to me. That is, it's an exceptional Les Paul and none of the others that I tried met my criteria.

Then again, I know that I'm pickier than most.

Archived