Gibson Brands Forums

IBG Hummingbird

I purchased one of the new Epiphone Inspired By Gibson Hummingbird guitars in the less popular Aged Natural finish. The construction and feel of the guitar is fantastic. I love it's playability, the feel of the neck, and it's tone. But what's bugging me is the mismatched spruce top. Should I settle on the finish or am I being too picky about it's looks since I like the way it plays.

Lro90aT.jpg

You have to like the guitar you have, the way it plays is important, and its look can come into play also. If you think that fretboard will bother you, you better send it back. 

Have you tried any type of polish on the fretboard? Lemon oil is good, but use sparingly.

Posted (edited)

It is maybe a bit off perfect-match, but it is book-matched, as you can see in the grain on the outer sides of the bout, and the ribbon of color on the treble side that picks up the color on the darker side.  These notes help bring it back into balance visually.  If it’s brand new, the one side may soften and meld better with the other with some age, especially if you kept it out with the darker side towards light.  I’m on the fence.  I think it gives it a kinda a vintage-y sort of character, but I can see where it might start to itch if you really prefer a more uniform look.  The crapshoot would be if the next one would be perfect or would it be funky in some other way, or worse doesn’t play as nice.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

I read something interesting about wood pertaining to the way my guitar looks. It's called runout.  LINK

I'm probably going to keep it as it really does sound really good to me. Knowing myself, I have a feeling that if I return it I will be going down the rabbit hole searching for that tone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Neil Young's Martins have runout and sound better than most other guitars.  I have a few natural coloured  guitars that have exactly the same and I actually think it looks really cool.  My IB J45 is the same too.  If it sounds great it's a keeper!

• Like 1