Gibson Brands Forums

Any help attaining a certain tone please?

jjbennett

Hello there :)

I got an amp a few weeks (marshall valvestate 8080) ago to use with my 335 and ive been trying to get a certain tone like from the video below, can anyone please point me roughly if they can how to get close to the tone? Ive forced myself to get it and have been fiddling since about 9am to no avail! O:)

Anything on the channel, settings, guitar knobs would be great.

Thankyou,

James.

Try this -

Set your amp to the settings that give you a bit of grind.

Guitar - Neck pick up. Turn the town down. Turn the guitar volume up till it you get breakup when you hit the strings hard. Now tweak the guitar tone knob up a bit at a time. If adjusting the guitar tone doesnt' get it done, leave it on a lower setting and use the amp tone knobs to add a bit of treble until you hit your target.

you're not going to get that tone with a Marshall, but you can probably get it close enough. Use whatever clean-ish channel you have on the amp, with just a bit of overdrive. High gain is not going to get you there.

On the 335, leave both pickups on (this is how Clapton plays the ES-335, and you can also see it in that video). Selector switch in the middle. Both tones and volumes full-up, though I am guessing that Clapton has the volumes backed off a hair.

EC uses as Fender Tweed Twin, cranked. That's how he gets that tone. Though if you have a smaller Fender tweed like a Deluxe, you can get the tone at lower volumes.

In the end, it's ultimately your phrasing and touch that will get you that tone.

I'm one of those people that think your overall tone is somehow shaped through your fingers and body. If Clapton handed you his guitar, and you played the exact same lick, it would still not sound the exactly the same, tone wise. There seems to be a resonance factor to the human body. Try this experiment with one of your bandmates or buddies, and see (or hear) what happens.

Is it the fingertips, hands, body mass, or a combinations of many biologcal factors? I don't know, but maybe we could get a government grant of a few million to study it. Any grant writers out there, we need a proposal to submit for the study of the "Resonant properties of the human body and how it effects to tonality of a electric guitar".

I'm one of those people that think your overall tone is somehow shaped through your fingers and body. If Clapton handed you his guitar' date=' and you played the exact same lick, it would still not sound the exactly the same, tone wise. There seems to be a resonance factor to the human body. Try this experiment with one of your bandmates or buddies, and see (or hear) what happens.

Is it the fingertips, hands, body mass, or a combinations of many biologcal factors? I don't know, but maybe we could get a government grant of a few million to study it. Any grant writers out there, we need a proposal to submit for the study of the "Resonant properties of the human body and how it effects to tonality of a electric guitar".[/quote']

For the most part, I'm with you, L5Larry, but I have to also note that the amplifier industry has been doing a great disservice to the quest for tones like Clapton's by pushing people into such large amps. You really can't get Clapton's tone without pushing a bit of overdrive from the amp, and that is only going to happen (naturally) with a low-watt amp turned up. I read once that Clapton recorded much of the Layla album with a Fender Champ: if true, that means he was using an amp that put out an astounding 4-6 watts of vintage tube sound. Yes, four or six. Not forty-six. There is no way to get that sound from a 100-watt Marshall--or even a 100-watt Fender, for that matter, unless the Fender is cranked up to head-splitting levels.

I have a Bronco-Amp, which was a '67-'75 name disguise to sell Vibro-Champs on the cheap. Same amp, same tube sound, different name. I get sounds from that amp that are more than adequate even for small combo practice. I am not worthy of the tone that comes out of that amp. I was one of the people who thought I needed a 100-watts of head-busting years ago, and I probably nearly killed myself trying to lug around an ancient Ampeg that I still have collecting dust somewhere. It is too much power for anything but a major gig. But that little Bronco still has a better sound and is my go-to amp, hands down.

Ignatius

Thanks guys, i tried what you said but its sounds odd, good odd, but not what im after.

Im in the market for a new amp anyway as personally i cant get on with this one at all - any suggestions. So far im leaning towards a blues junior.

Thanks guys' date=' i tried what you said but its sounds odd, good odd, but not what im after.

Im in the market for a new amp anyway as personally i cant get on with this one at all - any suggestions. So far im leaning towards a blues junior.[/quote']

If you just want it for home practice, you really might want to look for a vintage Vibro-Champ or Bronco-Amp. The old Broncos can often be found for dirt cheap because they were originally sold as a combo with a guitar, and the guitar usually has gone by the wayside, and so a lot of dealers sell the Broncos for a fraction of other vintage amps. But really, they are in fact just the Vibro-Champ with a different name on the faceplate.

Or are you looking for something that needs more volume than basement/garage practice? I think a lot depends on what sort of music you plan to play and where, as much as the tone you want. The latter shapes the former, but the former has a bigger impact on the type of amp you need.

Ignatius

Well i do play mainly just practice in the house but occasionally gig. The tone i need is a basically a blues one, i play Clapton, Coco Montoya, Dave Alvin etc. So ranging from straight blues (EC from the cradle) to more country/rock things (Dave Alvin) etc.

But really i just want to be able to get close to the tone from that video.

the best amp to get would be the Fender '57 Deluxe reissue. It will get you that tone with a 335.

you really need tube amp driving the power amps to distortion. To do this without going deaf or pissing off everyone in the audience (or even at home) you need a low watt amp.

A 5e3 circuit would be best. For both tone, and volume.

Fender's 57 Deluxe is pricey, so look to clones of that amp that are less expensive, are better built, and use better components... like Victoria's 20112 or the best choice, a Clark Beaufort.

If you can't do it with a 335 and a Fender Deluxe (or clone) please do not take offense to this, but you need to practice.

I never knew people made clone amps, never thought about that!

The Beaufort doesn't seem to be available in britain and the victoria is more than the fender over here!

My budgets about £500-£600

Theres a fender hot rod deluxe for that price, would that get near the tone?

The Hot Rod Deluxe is a great amp too... it will sound good for sure.

If you get a chance to try a Deluxe, do that as well before you buy anything. I'm sure there are 5E3 Deluxe clone builders over there in Europe.

If not, there are many here in the USA (a very popular amp to build). You can probably find one for around US$800 or so, plus the shipping to the UK, and you will still spend less than £500-£600 total.

Go to you local Fender dealer and try to play one of the new '57 Deluxe reissue with your 335 to see if you like it. I have a feeling you will fall in love with the tone.

It breaks up early, which is what you want, and it is by no means the most versatile amp (no channel switching, effects loop, reverb, etc.) but it does one tone very well, at a reasonable volume, and it is the tone you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about no reply lately, been very busy.

57 deluxe sounds great - only thing is to import one it will be about £1000 and about £1200 to buy one here, there is 2nd hand but thats still a little expensive.

I really need something under £500 max - someone suggested a blues junior at uni the other day, i doubt they'd get that tone though.

Also, i have a video of my current tone on youtube - can anyone suggest how to maybe make that closer to the one in the video please?

Many thanks again,

James.

Archived