Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 for $1799 or $3249 What's the difference?

bobr

I'm looking at getting an ES-339 after being unable to find a CS-336 locally. I can buy a 339 online for $1799 and have it set up or I can go to the local Axe store and get one that they are liquidating for somewhere around $2600, set up and out the door. What is the difference other than the figured top? I see them priced at Music123 for between $1799 and $3249. I am assuming the guitar the local store was trying to sell me was the spendier version, or they are trying to screw an unsuspecting old fart out of his hard earned money. How can I easily tell the difference? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The figured tops are way higher. Mines a plain. It's quite the looker. I'd like a figured, but not THAT much.

I would pay $1799.00. Period.

For now.

You'd better hurry. This can't last much longer.

Just sayin'.

Are you sure they're both 339s? I ask because there's another ES, the 359 (I believe) that's the same size as a 339 but is more expensive. The reason it's more expensive is because of the flame top, as Murph said, but also because it has the fancier appointments. Like comparing a Les Paul Standard to a Les Paul Custom. The Custom has the fancy binding, headstock, inlays, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your responses. After some investigating, I went out and bought it. It was an ES-339 Custom Shop with a Cherry top and it sings as good as it looks. And I don't feel screwed like the last time I bought a guitar. My son is very pleased also, he is my heir.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Memphis-ES339-Figured-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=515964&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=146553449

Thanks for your responses. After some investigating' date=' I went out and bought it. It was an ES-339 Custom Shop with a Cherry top and it sings as good as it looks. And I don't feel screwed like the last time I bought a guitar. My son is very pleased also, he is my heir.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Memphis-ES339-Figured-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=515964&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=146553449[/quote']

Ha!

What a beauty.

Best of luck with it. I love mine, but it's just "plain"......

:-({|=

Murph.

Archived