Gibson Brands Forums

PAT No 2.737.842 and HB-L pickups in my 1989 Les Paul. Any info on them?

Revelation

My 1989 Heritage Cherry Sunburst has these pickups. The interesting thing is I can pull the tone knobs and get them to be single coil. So I thought someone must have put other pickups in the guitar. But based on the limited information, they are original? Google search said the following

The Gibson pickup with patent number 2,737,842 is quite interesting! This patent number is actually for a Gibson bridge, but it was used on their pickups from around 1962 to 19901. These pickups are often referred to as “Patent Number” pickups and are known for their vintage humbucker sound.

So are these closest to a certain Burst Bucker? I never heard of these pickups. So call the Dirty Fingers pickups. 

Can anyone enlighten me on these pickups. 

Edited by Revelation

• Revelation changed the title to PAT No 2.747.842 and HB-L pickups in my 1989 Les Paul. Any info on them?
  • Revelation changed the title to PAT No 2.737.842 and HB-L pickups in my 1989 Les Paul. Any info on them?
  • 5 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Revelation said:

I am surprised that no one on the Gibson forum are familiar with these pickups. 

Well, I have no idea, I’m an acoustic nerd, but just looking back at your original question, it’s a bit confusing.  On the one hand you are asking if they are original, but then you quote a google article with no source seeming to answer your question they are, but they are mislabeled.  So you seem to have answered your question, and I’m not sure what you are really asking.  Are you just fishing to confirm you have a rare, valuable unicorn? Or are you really interested in the pickups and what they can do?  I just have a hard time believing that a major manufacturer could mis-patent/label a part for over a decade… after all, it’s a pretty complicated process with lawyers and all.  You’d think they would catch the error the first time they went to reorder stock, or something needed to be repaired.  

Most just referred to them as humbuckers in those days.  The patent number doesn't mean anything and they sound like a decent Gibson humbucker.  They aren't PAFs.  I assume BurstBuckers are trying to be PAF-alikes, so these standard humbuckers you have aren't quite that.  I don't remember push-pulls at that time, but you may have a store exclusive or someone certainly may have done that themselves.  

rct

Communication on forums is not always easy. I bought this guitar used over 28 years ago and never bothered to check the pickups. When I found the tone knobs pulled out and put the pickups in single coil, I assumed they were installed by the original owner. I was interested in putting the original pickups in it.  So I asked if they were original pickups in the guitar. If I Googled the pickups, it does not mean they were the original pickups.