Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 Selector Switch Question

rlyman40

Hello, I am a new guitar player (about 7 months) and an even newer ES 335 owner. I just picked up a used 2008 ES 335 and am wondering if there is a problem with it or if it's me. When the selector switch is in the middle I get no output from either pickup unless both volume knobs are turned up. The pickups work when the selector selects them and I can here them both (changed tone to 0 on one and 10 on the other) when it is in the middle but only if both volume knobs are both up. Is that how it is supposed to work? I thought I should be able to turn one down and still here the other. I know this is a beginner question but at 49 I am a beginner:) Thanks for any help.

When the selector switch is in the middle I get no output from either pickup unless both volume knobs are turned up. Is that how it is supposed to work?

Yes, this is typical of most dual pickup Gibson's. It is a function of the sequence in which the pickups, pots, and switch are wired to the jack. It takes a little getting used to, but you'll be accumstomed to it in no time.

It also serves well as a "mute" function.

Archived