Gibson Brands Forums

LP Special Faded

DaveKauz

Hi all,

Thanks for the help a few months ago. I called Gibson and learned that the guitar for sale locally is indeed a Special Faded with humbuckers. Single cut.

It is brand new and well set up. It is cherry red, although more of a brown look to me.

The price tag? $750 brand new. I am pretty sure I can negotiate down some.

I love the feel and sound and it doesn't seem much different to me than the Studio that retails for $1300. Am I wrong in thinking this is a good deal for about $600 dollars less? Is it really just about the finish and lack of trapazoids when comparing this to the regular (not faded) studio?

Thanks, all.

They're pretty much the same guitar (minus the finish, and trapezoid inlays). They have the same pickups, and the same neck shape. The faded finish axes are pretty cool guitars. Play one, see if you like it. I have a SG Special Faded, and I love it. One thing you may want to consider is that finish though. Mahogany is a dense wood, but it's kind of soft. The (lack of a) finish on the faded, makes the guitar a little more susceptible to scratches or dents/divots in the wood.

it's definitely a great guitar, I have had no problems with mine. With the faded finish, it is more susceptible to dents, but it almost looks better than a ding on a shiny finished guitar. Put this way, I would not lose sleep over putting a small ding on the edge of my faded than say if I had a brand new custom. Also, the faded finish on the back of the neck is way better than the finished neck on the studio

Thanks, guys. I just remembered that perhaps the Special Faded is also different from current studios in that the former lacks a pick guard and is all mahogany (not a maple top).

Twiz - I had a Faded SG a while back but it seemed too light for my taste and lacked the bottom end compared to my Epi Les Paul. I love the ease of play of that sg and the looks, but I have learned that the LP just feels natural to me. Thanks again!

Archived