Gibson Brands Forums

Grrrrr.... Martin

ksdaddy

Emailed Martin inquiring about some bar fret material. I received a prompt and curt reply that Martin will not sell bar fret material to the general public.

I say curt reply.... my mouse fingers almost got frostbite.

They have every right to sell or not sell whatever they please, I'm just crabby because of it and I don't feel like wearing my Martin denim jacket now. Unless they would like to bribe me with some bar fret material. Then I'd get over my mad.

This is old style stuff. No crown or tang, just flat stock. Most US companies stopped using it around 1900; Martin used it until 1934. It was still available from many vendors up until just recently. One guy has it advertised on his website but apparently I didn't know the secret handshake.

Picture-23.jpg

Oddly enough my 1981 Martin M-38 came with bar frets from the factory. I know not why. In 2005 Johnny Rushing installed a new board with snowflakes and normal frets for me. I could have done it with much trepidation and palm sweat but Johnny does it in his sleep so....

Have you tried T. J. Thompson? Frank Ford of Gryphon Strings and FRETS.COM said this late last year:

"Martin quit supplying bar fret wire a while ago, and at that time, they more-or-less turned the bar fret wire business over to T. J. Thompson:

43 Bradford St Ste 2, Concord, MA 01742-2972

Phone: (978) 369-3359

While Martin supplied the stuff in three thicknesses, T.J. has a rolling mill and offers a dozen, I think."

Archived