Gibson Brands Forums

1960's LG-2 Reissue

Paul E

Has anyone ever tried the 1960's LG-2 reissue and what did you think of it? I just ordered one from Fuller's and I thought it sounded great over the phone. I was told this guitar was made for the Japenese market and few US dealers were carrying the model. I've been looking for a guitar a little bigger than my Blues KIng but smaller than my J-45. The guitar has a bone nut and saddle, and scaloped X bracing. I'll post pics and give a report when I get it.

I bought a '40s LG-2 reissue from Fuller's several months ago and have been tinkering with the setup since I got it. I lowered the saddle a little at a time, playing it in each time until I had lowered it about 3/32 ". I also put some bone pins in it and strung it up with medium nickle strings. I'm getting close but I think I may file the nut down just a bit and call it good. The guitar is a joy to play, not as loud and crisp as my Martin rosewood dread but warmer and very comfortable to hold. It excels at oldtime and very early country stuff with a flatpick. It has the depth of a dreadnought and I believe it is louder than most 00s I've played. It also has a shorter scale and I'm finding that more often than not, it's the guitar that I reach for. Here she is.

fvg40slg2_3532.jpg

Steelhead1950

Thanks for the info on your setup. Your 40's LG-2 is a beauty. The 60's LG-2 looks the same except no banner on the headstock. I have a luthier friend that does all the setup's on my guitars. He knows the string height I like, which is about 3/32". I plan to use the guitar for old time (country) blues fingerpicking. I think I'll try 80/20 lights and go from there.

Archived