Gibson Brands Forums

Bone saddle and pins ?

MrOuch

I got a Songwriter Deluxe a few months ago and am thinking about getting the saddle and pins changed to bone. What kind of difference will this make in the sound and is it worth the expense? This is the first high end guitar I've owned and would like to make it as perfect as possible. Thanks for any info.

Congrats on guitar hope it all goes well.

I have a 12 string and asked the same question a few days ago.

"Guitar strummer" replied thus

I have a SWD 12 string and really love mine. Although, mine was set up just fine right from the factory for me. I did switch out the bridge pins. Here's a great place to get some bone pins.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

This place also has all sorts of pins.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bridge-End-Pin-Set-Bone/T1115

As far as strings, I've been using D'Addario lights on mine.

He also confirmed that the saddle and nut ARE bone so it's just the pins!

BR

John

I know the Gibson website says that the one I have is a bone nut and a tusq saddle.

"All Modern Classic guitar models feature:

• Grover Rotomatic Tuners

Bone nut and Tusq saddle

• New "Big Sky" radiused fingerboard edge

• Industry's finest electronics

• Premium hardshell case

• Distinctive new labels "

Thanks for your replies.

Hey, Mr. Ouch, I posted this info a while back but I took my J-45 in to have my guitar guy take a look at it, check the action, give me his opinion, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, he told me the nut was cut too deep on the little E and that it wasn't shaped properly in relation to the plane of the fret board. It was bone and the guy I bought it from had it installed. He had no bone but had a Tusq nut that was almost "nuts" on so I had that installed. Now, I don't know if it was the nut, or the set-up, or the new Nanoweb 80/20 bronze strings I had him put on, but the thing sounds GREAT. The Tusq certainly didn't detract from the sound, I alway thought it sounded great before. It also has a bone saddle. I replaced the plastic pins with bone with ebony dots. They really look sharp but in all honesty I can't say that I was able to discern a great difference in tone. Old ears, maybe! They look great on the guitar so that makes it worthwhile right there. It's ok to treat our Gibbys to some new accessories, they're worth it!!

I'm told nut material doesn't make much difference tone-wise. If it's ok functionally, I'd leave it alone. On the other hand, I like for all my guitars to have bone or ivory saddles and pins. I think it makes a big difference over plastic, but that difference is very subjective and hard to describe... Another thing I like about it is getting back to the original materials used in guitars in the "old days"... that aesthetic just happens to please me.

It's not real expensive to try the bone for the saddle and pins... easy to change out too. I'll also echo the Bob Colosi recommendation... he's always done a fine job for me.

By the way MrOuch, that's one of the best avatars I've seen... classic...

Well I took my Songwriter Deluxe over to my local luthier to have a set of ebony bridge pins put in. He noticed that the E,A,D pins fit in very loosly. Both the stock pins and the new ebony pins fit that way. The pins measure .210 at their widest point and the holes are .215. He had to notch the bridge slightly on the (A) string hole and turn the bridge pin backwards to get it to fit right. And the luthier said the stock pins were plastic and I agreed . Also the black pins with the gold incircled dot looks so much nicer.

Mike

I am worried now that I have ordered wrong pin size.

This is from Gibson "Here are the specs of the pins we use: 5-degree taper and a 0.070" (1.78mm) string slot. .218 at the bottom of the ball. .152 at the tip."

This would relate to a size 2A pin. Don't make the same mistake as me.

This pin thing is very confusing. Bob at www.guitarsaddles.com told me I needed size 1. They were delivered and did fit great.

I think you need to measure and work out what you need.

Mine were .210 inch so were size 1. My guitar is Gibson Songwriter Deluxe (not cutaway)

Archived