Gibson Brands Forums

Amp build step 2

djroge1

One of the easier things to do for this build is to wire the heaters. This is basically giving power (6.3v) to all of the tubes. It's not the neatest work - I need more practice.

1. Coil the wires together. Do this by placing the one end of the two wires (white and Black in this photo, but red and black for the actual heaters) in a vice and the other end into a drill and slowly run the drill. Make sure you don't over twist. By looking at my work I probably could have gone a little tighter.

IMG_3223_0150.jpg

2. Wire them up starting at the ground point. Black goes to pin 2 and red goes to pin 7 for the power tube socket

IMG_3227_0147.jpg

Then on to the pre-amp tubes. Black goes into both pins 4/5 and red goes into pin 9.

IMG_3228_0148.jpg

closeupV1-V3.jpg

I have to go out of town for a funeral tomorrow so no work until I return. I hope to get the tone stack next - all the pots and the caps that go with them.

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins, right? Then your posts will land me right in hell.

Seriously, this project looks like a lot of fun. Cannot wait to see and hear the final results. On my list of things to do before I die is assemble a guitar amp. Thanks for sharing.

Archived