Gibson Brands Forums

A Gretsch Guitar and a Whole Lotta' Reverb

Californiaman

Balbinot said it was a tribute to Link Wray.

That was definitely the connection I made' date=' but it lacked the b***siness and gruff quality of Wray's work, IMHO.

Not to derail the thread, but here's another vid featuring some Gretsch playing: Setzer doing "Sleepwalk."

I'd dearly love to have my old Gretsch back. #@%@#%@#%@#

Link did some neat stuff but... I think kinda lacked the personality to really make money and more records... Instinctive as a player as opposed to "schooled," as I see it.

He set the stage for a lot of good rock, though... a wild man in the truest sense that he didn't domesticate very well.

I never liked whammies, though, myself. The old Gretsch pickups were nice, and sounded very good through the old tube amps of the '60s....

m

My secret dream is a 6120 DC.

Doesn't even have to be vintage.

Just affordable.

And sound and play good.

Unfortunately for me, I don't play enough electric anymore to justify getting one.

Not to derail the thread' date=' but here's another vid featuring some Gretsch playing: Setzer doing "Sleepwalk."

Were those Fender Supers in the back ground?

What ever they are' date=' I certainly liked the sweet tones they produced.[/quote']

I'm not sure, but agree that the tone is sweet. Interesting that he's also fighting feedback throughout the piece...

Archived