Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson T-tops, are they real?

Spectboy

I have purchased what may be fake or non-Gibson T-tops. The seller advertized them as 1973 Gibson humbuckers. He also told me that they came out of a 1973 Gibson guitar. The pictures show a nice gold top, slightly worn as one might expect from 1973. But the back shows what looks to be all epoxied in with the magnet showing and no early 70's patent number sticker. He's saying that Gibson made these that way sometimes and used them during that time period and that they are genuine T-tops but with epoxy. And.... that I could ask anybody. Okay. I'm asking EVERYBODY.

Is this BS and fake or did they really make them that way back then? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I think I just screwed up.

I just got this from the seller. Can anyone verify this information?

"By the way here is how pickups went in 1967 they went to t tops with black stickers on bottom in late 1972 -1973 they used t tops with appoxy bottoms by 1974 the last of the sticker t tops were used . some appoxy pickups were still used left overs unitl 1975 . by 1975 the t tops had stamped in number on the metal plates no decals these were used until around 1982 At that point the t top bobbins were no longer used"

Thanks for any help.

I've been researching this all day. The seller says it was from a 1973 Gibson but didn't say what kind. I found some material on what is referred to as a "tar back" pick up from that era, using epoxy on the back. They are said to be and sound the same as the sticker T-tops. They apparently were used in e.g., '75 SG's and/or '76 Explorers through the late '70's. Does that ring a bell? Thanks.

I'd like to post the images. I have them. But my Web Photo Manager won't let me post them here. ??

Gibson T-tops (and correct me if I'm wrong) are the humbuckers used by Gibson from about 1968 to late 1970's/ early '80's. They have a small "T" hole cut into the tops of the bobbins for alignment as explained by some. They began with metal backs and a black sticker with the patent number on it. Somewhere along 1976 or so, they began stamping the patent number into the metal back. Apparently, in addition to that, they made some with a black epoxy backing and no patent number called "tar backs" by some (just found that out today).

My original question only concerns these pickups. I bought three from a seller that was saying that they are true T-tops from that era. From all the research I've done today, I'm leaning in that direction but the dates don't match. He's talking '73 and the literature is talking '75 and later.

I was just wondering if anybody knew about these epoxy pickups ("tar backs") to verify what he said and what I'm finding. I have a '74 Custom that I'm trying to get period-correct replacement T-tops into for restoration. It has '57 Classics in it right now that sound incredible but I'd like to get it closer to original.

I guess I have to get a PhotoBucket account to upload pics. I'll work on that.

Thanks.

Hey Are nine.. yeah, my bad!! You'd think I'd learn. In fact, I did call Gibson... no clue. The guy couldn't find anything on them. I also have a call in to my friends at Gibson Repair. No call back yet. I've also contacted several of my local guitar gurus. It's a work day so I'll get some calls tonight. So I thought I'd drop a line here to see if anyone had any ideas.

I'm thinking I might pass on the deal. They may be from that era but they're not Lassie. I can wait.

Archived