Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON J 45

3spires

Hi,

I was looking at buying my first really nice acoustic and was planning on getting a J45. I have noticed there are 'True Vintage' models etc and was just after a bit of advice really on which to go for and if this is the best guitar to go for.

Would anyone recommend a vintage?? Bit lost with all the woods used etc and your advice and help would be appreciated. Ive also attached a pic of a great looking Gibson, if anyone can tell me what it is and thoughts, would be great

Thanks,,

http://kasabianweb.com/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=2366&fullsize=1

believe that's a J160e in the pic. most often associated with john lennon. if you're able, you should try on a few different gibson's. there are several variations on the slope shouldered theme but they don't call the j45 the workhorse for nothing! you can see several different ones in my avatar. good luck and enjoy the research...

J 45's

J-45R (rosewood): brighter sound than the regular one.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

J 45 (non rosewood)

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

The legend series (I know its probably outta your price range at 7 grand but its pretty cool.

original 1943 V 2007 gibson legend (modeled after '43 ver

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Hello

I'm guessing you're from Coventry ? Me too, but I live in Manchester. I've sent you an email and a PM. If you don't get 'em post a message here.

I buy and sell a few Gibson acoustics and I always have half a dozen in stock. I could bring one or two to Cov. next time I visit my Dad if you're interested otherwise you could come here and play some.

Cheers David T

Howdy... I'm lucky enough to have tried both a new J45 legend series and a very nice vintage 40's banner J45 (both mahogany of course). I would say they do sound very similar, just the new one isn't opened up. If you play one, notice the chunky neck and how growl-like they sound. Lot's of growl and attitude in those guitars. Regular ones seem to be a bit more smooth sounding.

You can always find a vintage J45 from other years that has already opened up and sounds great and will probably be the same price or sometimes cheaper than a new one...

Archived