Gibson Brands Forums

High Humidity.. solutions?

Cla

I am in Central Louisiana where it is fairly humid. Up to 85% humidity today. I have a J-45 custom which at the moment is being kept in the case. What is everyones experience with high humidity, and what might be the best way to deal with it? Methods... any specific preferred dehumidifier? My guitar has sounded a little less responsive in high humidity but other than that I still get what I need from it. I keep some silicon granules in the case for a humidity buffer.

I keep all my guitars in one room, with a electonically controlled humidifiers/dehumidifiers. If you can still find some, the best product I've come across were humidipaks by planet waves. They were recalled not long ago for seeping issues though. I've continued to use them because I had some out of the recall production numbers, but I hope the new versions are out soon!

If you choose to go the silica gel route, I have found Cabela's to have some of the best prices. They are sold under their gun supply webpage. Metal packs that can be reactivated in a toaster oven. Best to measure the humidity after use to make sure it's not getting too dry.

Les

I have silica from my father, lots of it, just been heating it in the oven at low temperature, right now though the case is only running down to about 65% when outside the case it is 80-85ish. I like to play it though, so I open near every day.^_^

Cla,

Welcome to the Forum. I live near Shreveport and I know what you mean about humidity. Last year I got really freaked and went out and bought a room dehumidifier. All I managed to do was heat the room up 10-15 degrees and run my electric bill up about $100.

I think you are doing the right thing by keeping it in the case, and using the silica gel. Although the humidity indoors here during the warm months is higher than what is recommended, the shops around here tell me it's very rare for them to see humidity-damaged guitars.

I keep my Gibbys in their cases and the Masterbilts on a stand year-round and I have never seen any issues with any of them on many careful inspections using internet sources for Guides on recognizing over-humidification.

I think low humidity is far more damaging. I lived in the northeast for many years, and the forced air heating in the winter was awful to deal with. I had to run a giant Sears room humidifier in my bedroom all winter to make it even tolerable. It was a constant battle to get it up to a decent humidity levels for my guitars.

Archived