Gibson Brands Forums

LG0 born date help. Boy What a sweet little "Brownie"

markob

Trying to nail down the date of birth on this little mahogany. A friend of my 81 year old Mother brought it by her home. Said she thought it was made in 1963. The serial # is: S9536 15. What little research I have done shows The S prefix would indicate 1959.(?) It also has the Brazilian bridge which I read indicates pre 62. But I've heard Gibson's # system and parts bin was somewhat scattered during this time. Anyway what a sweet little guitar and in great shape. Original chipboard /alligator case w/ the brass gibby label on the middle compartment lid. I love little brown mahogany's. I have a '69 Favilla F-5 that just kills for a delta blues box. Would love any comments from those in the know. If this post should have been placed in the "vintage" thread area my apologies. I'm a rookie here. Thanks!

mob

Hi and welcome markob!

Sorry, I can't help on the serial number and date. There are several people here that probably can. I can tell you that the old LG's are some of my favorite guitars. I have a 1964 LG1 that has been getting the majority of play time in my small collection lately. I have really been getting into playing fingerstyle blues and my LG1 has that tone nailed! Congrats on getting a great little full hog guitar! Do you have photos?

Archived