Gibson Brands Forums

1943 Epiphone Emperor

eeh1

Epiphones were top quality guitars...1943 was before Gibson bought Epi and they were made in NYC. Their better models were at least as good as comparable Gibsons from the same era. I've had a number of NY Epiphones...(early 50's) and one Gibson made (pre-Japan). The current imported models are just another pac-rim import...but the NY Epiphones are special.

What model are you considering?

Epiphones were top quality guitars...1943 was before Gibson bought Epi and they were made in NYC. Their better models were at least as good as comparable Gibsons from the same era. I've had a number of NY Epiphones...(early 50's) and one Gibson made (pre-Japan). The current imported models are just another pac-rim import...but the NY Epiphones are special.

An Emporer is top of the line. My '51 was a Zephyr Deluxe Regent...it was stunning. An Emporer should be even better. May take a small bucket of cash to get it but if its a reasonable price I would not hesitate....

I have a '99 Emperor Regent, which I realize is made in Korea and is an Epiphone in name only, but the quality is frightening. I've owned 175s, a 165, several old L-7s, a Guild X-500 and a Gretsch Country Club (still own that one) and this $350 (used) Epi will stand up against any of them, if not smoke them right off the road. I'm not a fan of Pac Rim guitars so it's hard for me to type what I just typed, but it's a fact.

emp1.jpg

The pre-buyout Epi's were tp quality instruments. Prior to WWII Epiphone was Gibson's biggest competitor, and their 30's, 40's and early 50's instruments are thought of as being right up there in design and craftsmanship with Gibsons of the same era.

So how do you beat your competition, you buy them out. Supposedly Ted McCarty bought Epiphone for about 25% of what it was really worth.

Less than that I bet. The story as I know it is that Epi closed, Gibson thought they were buying the tooling and stock for the upright basses only, but when the trucks arrived, the whole she-bang was in them, including all guitar stuff and unfinished guitars. I believe they paid $35,000 for the whole works.

Archived