Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Zebrawood question

J185-4Me

I wonder if those of you who have purchased one of these (cool!) Zebrawood 20th Anniversary guitars can help me sort out something about the purfling on thie model.

I see two different kinds on examples of purfling on this model:

First, this one with a blue/red/blonde motif:

DSC_0019.JPG4a77521ad0e05.JPG

Then this more herringbone type:

Trim2%20(2).jpg

I am just wondering what anyone can tell me they have on theirs?

Fred

i have had 5 go through my hands. they made 20 in natural, and 20 in honeyburst (though it's more of an iced tea). all of the ones i have held were honeyburst. that being said, i have yet to see one with the herringbone style inlay. the spec sheet sent out to dealers even specifies the style you showed in the first picture. all have been the same as the first picture. each one HAS been slightly different though. one had grovers, one had a blank TRC, etc, etc. i think the one you showed with the herringbone is from a different run of zebrawood J45... not the current one to celebrate the Bozeman 20th anniversary. is that possible? or are you sure it's from the same run?

i've seen the different tuners, but on the spec sheet is does specify only "gold tuners" and mentions nothing of the style.

the binding is different though. it does specify the colored type. they call it "parquet".

previous runs of J45 Zebrawoods have had herringbone. are you sure the ones you see now with herringbone are from this same run?

Thanks for your replies everyone. I get the sense that maybe the Zeewood J-45 variant was a "pseudo-model" previously, and it was trotted out as part of the 20th Anniversary models.

The ones I've seen do not have a "20th Anniversary" MoP banner on the back side of the headstock, as the other 20th Anniv models have.

But I agree -- based on the ones I've tried, and from what I've heard from other players, by all accounts this model is a good-sounding one.

Fred

• 2 months later...

Hi all!

Nice discussion on this awesome guitar. I got mine a couple of months ago.

It's the natural finish and has Grover machine heads, it also has the herringbone pattern on the bindings. Just as mentioned above it only has the Custom Shop stamp at the back of its head and the special anniversary sticker in the sound hole. It also has the Custom signed thrusrod cover.

and btw it also came with the nice-looking certificate.

Looks really nice and plays great O:)

Please keep this discussion alive since this is the best guitar out there :)

Archived