Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 - Brand New Vs 1970s Vintage

ToddS

Thanks very much guys ... given I didnt have the opportunity to compare a stack of these at once, it's reassuring to have guys with more experience look at my new baby and tell me that the 'aesthetic anomalies' are not faults, or even unattractive to them, but that I have bought a sweet guitar.

Given I plan hanging on to it for the next 30 or 40 years, and then want to pass it on to my kids (not to mention the 2+ years I spent searching) its pretty important to me I got a good one!

it's reassuring to have guys with more experience look at my new baby and tell me that the 'aesthetic anomalies' are not faults' date=' or even unattractive to them, but that I have bought a sweet guitar.

[/quote']

Bottom line, it has to please you. To me, that somewhat odd figuring gives your guitar a unique signature. OK, it doesn't please the eye in the way perfect symmetry would, but it is cool. Some others might not care for it, and so what. They don't have to.

Congratulations' date=' it's a beauty.

I hope it gives you many years of pleasure.

Notes[/quote']

+1, Todd. I hope the guitar proves a keeper for you because it is a beauty. I do understand the aesthetic thing, though; even though sound and feel are the most important, you have to like how a guitar looks, or you aren't going to bond well with it. Give the oddities a bit of time; they look really nice to me and give the guitar identity. I don't see anything in your pictures that would detract from the guitar's value.

Me personally? I'm often looking for the very thing that makes a guitar stand out as unique as long as it's not something broken or damaged. I like it that my instruments have an identity of their own, both visually and sonically.

And don't feel bad about not having stacks to play beforehand. While there are some spots in the U.S. where there are 335s galore, your experience actually is the norm now for most American buyers as well. With Gibson tightening up the authorized dealer chain, more and more people are going to have to make their guitar decisions based on blind ordering or picking among the few they encounter over the years.

You saw a great one, but you only acted when you were ready. That sounds like a very good guitar purchase to me.

Ignatius

Archived